"Help" windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr.magoo

"Help" windows

Post by mr.magoo »

Everytime I click a Help button (not help from the top bar menu) I get this notice:
Unable to load page

The requested URI "ghelp:user-guide?gospanel-23" is invalid
I suspect that it has something to do with my distro being installed on the external hard drive, but that's only a guess. If i finally get this OS installed properly, it might solve this particular aggravation. I thought I would ask, though, in case it was something else apparent to others but not to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: "Help" windows

Post by ArcherSeven »

What version of Mint are you using, the Main version? That error suggests, to me, that either xdg (handled by the environment, in Main's case GNOME) is not working properly or that ghelp is missing. Neither of those seem likely on Mint Main, though nothing's impossible and I am surprised daily.
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

There's a Linux "Main?" I'm using Helena.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

main means gnome, hes asking what type of desktop environment your using
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

Um... ok. Wasn't real familiar with the term, but after doing a spot of reading, I guess it's GNOME.
ArcherSeven

Post by ArcherSeven »

Ok, then yes, that's a very confusing problem. Is it an installed system?
Joel

Post by Joel »

I also get this error message.

Linux Mint 8 Helena Main. Downloaded, burned and installed last night to my rather old laptop. This is one of a few little problems I'm having.
ArcherSeven

Post by ArcherSeven »

Very odd issue. I'm not familiar enough with Gnome to really be of much more help, Unfortunetly.
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

Yeah, I have this same problem, but it is intermittent. Sometimes it works and sometimes I get the error message. I just figured that the particular program I was using at the time didn't have help for it so you get the error message. I don't know that for a fact though, so don't quote me on it! :)

However, I can say that most of the time I don't get the error message.

Steve

Return to “Beginner Questions”