File path, Thunderbird, and Truecrypt question in one

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikhou

File path, Thunderbird, and Truecrypt question in one

Post by mikhou »

I am trying to move my Thunderbird profile into a Truecrypt container so that all of my email, address book, etc. is encrypted. The way that I am trying to do that is to move the profile folder into a "Thunderbird" folder that I created in my Truecrypt container. But I didn't move the profile.ini file. I am then creating a symbolic link in the .mozilla-thunderbird folder to the profile folder in the Truecrypt container. However, after doing so, I get a message when starting Thunderbird that Thunderbird is already running and that I need to close it in order to open a new window. Well, I restored the folder to where TB would have expected it to be, restarted and got the same message. Then I deleted the original profile.ini file, restarted TB so that a new profile.ini file was created, edited the new file to point to the old folder, and everything is working again as it should be but I still have no encryption. I have 2 questions:

1. Anybody got a better suggestion or can tell me what I did wrong?
2. Is it possible that I typed my path wrong when setting up the symbolic link? What does a path look like in Linux? I've been using Linux now for about a year, but maybe I'm missing how to type a full path. Here's the command and path that I was using to setup the symbolic link:

ln -s /media/truecrypt5/Thunderbird/my profile folder

Any help would be appreciated.

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: File path, Thunderbird, and Truecrypt question in one

Post by eiver »

Do you really need to setup the symbolic link? Can you not just move the profile folder to your truecrypt volume and then edit "path=" in the profiles.ini to point to that folder?

Your command appears to be ok, but maybe thunderbird does not support a symbolic link?
(Of course remember to escape any spaces using a backslash)

Return to “Beginner Questions”