Problem with Gnome/Nautilus. Please help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisgj6

Problem with Gnome/Nautilus. Please help!

Post by chrisgj6 »

Hi everyone,

I've been using Mint for a couple of months with very little problems. I've installed the global menu add on for the gnome applet(
http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/) and its worked well for a couple weeks. I decided yesterday to remove it from the panel but after doing so I've encountered some serious problems which I suspect may be related to this. Every time I boot the computer elements of the interface start to load but the system is slow to the point that it is unusable (10 mins for a window to open). I eventually managed to access system monitor but nothing seems to be taking a significant amount of cpu or memory. Interestingly my screenlets load properly and function perfectly. It refuses to open any nautilus windows as my user but I can open nautilus as root by entering "gksudo nautilus" in terminal. It does connect to the internet and eventually I can access package manager. I'm also using the elementary modified version of nautilus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry in advance if the information I've supplied is of no use.

Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problem with Gnome/Nautilus. Please help!

Post by remoulder »

Try deleting or renaming the hidden .gconf folder in your home then log out and back in. This will set all your settings back to installation defaults.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”