Security updates question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
interested_switcher

Security updates question

Post by interested_switcher »

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of switching to Mint from a regular Ubuntu system. I noticed that distrowatch says that Mint doesn't issue security advisories. Normally, with my current Ubuntu set-up, I notice that security patches are issued quite frequently. Is distrowatch referring to Mint not issuing security patches or is distrowatch saying that Mint doesn't offer security advisories (e.g. in text form on their website)? Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Allen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pack3tg0st

Re: Security updates question

Post by pack3tg0st »

I find that there are updates quite frequently... almost daily for me (it'll depend on what packages you're running which updates you'll get).

I would think they mean its security advisories...
vincent

Post by vincent »

Mint doesn't offer "security advisories" in the same way Ubuntu does, but security updates are there if you wish to install them. The thing is, most security updates (or at least the important ones) are all kernel updates, which has the tendancy to break things for certain people, especially those who have to recompile kernel modules because their hardware likes to mess with them. Mint does not install any updates automatically; the only indication that an update is available is that the mintUpdate icon changes from a secured lock to an unsecured lock symbol. In addition, Mint has a unique rating system that rates each package depending on its stability, from levels 1 to 5, 1 being the most stable and tested (e.g. the official Mint tools) and 5 being the most dangerous and most risky updates that may bork your system (e.g. kernel updates). Level 4 and level 5 updates (mostly X server and kernel updates) are hidden by default, and you have to go into mintUpdate's Preference settings to change that.

The reason for this approach to updates is simply to ensure that no Mint user unknowingly borks their own system, without taking an extra step to enable lower-level security updates. If you want those updates, you better make sure you know how to fix your system if something goes wrong. ;)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In addition to what vincent said above, you can verify for yourself that security updates are being passed to you.

Menu > Administration > Software Sources > Other Software Tab

You'll notice that "Important Security Updates" has been enabled by default
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”