New mintbackup tool not running after install SOLVED sorta

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikhou

New mintbackup tool not running after install SOLVED sorta

Post by mikhou »

Hey guys,

This is probably a super easy question, but I just loaded the new backup tool from the Repo page as indicated at the link below:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

and when I go to run it, nothing happens. Thoughts?

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: New mintbackup tool not running for me after install

Post by proxima_centauri »

What happens if you try running mintbackup in terminal?
EDIT: Also, which edition of Mint are you running?
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

How would I run it from terminal? I'm not completely sure where the files are installed. I tried going to usr/bin and running "mintBackup" but I get "sh: sh:: not found". I also going to terminal and running "mintBackup" and get the same message. I can usually identify where apps were stored in Windows, but honestly, when I started using LM 8 months ago, LM "just works" so well in GUI interface that I haven't learned a lot of terminal commands or typically where apps are stored.

BTW, I'm running LM7 "Gloria" on a Dell Inspiron 1420, Core 2 Duo Processor, 4MB RAM. Anything else that would be helpful?

You think that I need to move up to LM 8 to get it to work? That would be a bummer to have to move up to LM8 just to then turn around and move up to LM 9 (which I'm definitely going to do).

mikhou
proxima_centauri

Yes, I was a little unclear - try running mintbackup in terminal with the command,

Code: Select all

mintbackup
From there you should receive some sort of an output if there are any errors.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Still getting the same thing. When I run it from terminal this is what I get.

mike@mike ~ $ mintBackup
sh: sh:: not found

Ideas?

mikhou
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Just a thought -- unlike MS-Windows, Linux is CaSe sEnSiTiVe... try the command in all lowercase? Although I tried both and they work (in Helena).
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Trying to run/use the NEW Mint Back-up Tool created for Mint-9 (Ubuntu Lucid) and open it in Mint-8

I'm not sure this is possible, as Mint-9 is based on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 ... and Mint-8 is based on Ubuntu Karmic.

Everything in the newer Mint-9 is different starting with the kernel ... and the new Mint Back-up Tool was written specifically for Mint-9

It would be better, to wait a few weeks for Mint-9 to be released ... and use the Mint Back-up Tool in the environment it was made for.
proxima_centauri

Suggestion by ikey in IRC, try this command:

Code: Select all

gksudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py
mikhou

Re: New mintbackup tool not running after install SOLVED sor

Post by mikhou »

Thanks, proxima. That works. But for my own personal knowledge, can you, ikey, or clem (who has suggested the same command line in his blog post in a response to my query there) tell me why it's not working via the menu? I'm only about 8 months into using Linux and 1) I'd like to learn as much as I can and 2) it bugs the heck out of me not to know the answer to something. :-) Thanks again.

mikhou
proxima_centauri

I'm not sure why.
Try editing to the menu command to the one above (right-click menu -> Edit Menus, find Backup Tool, right-click the entry -> Properties).
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Sometimes it's the most obvious answers that we miss. I was thinking more of trying to figure out why it didn't work in the first place. (Although, I'd still like to know that as well.) Thanks.

mikhou

Return to “Beginner Questions”