Print Dialogue Save [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
albert

Print Dialogue Save [SOLVED]

Post by albert »

I have noticed that when printing from various applications, such as a web browser or graphics app, that the print dialogue appears to be the same, that is, a menu is provided which asks whether to print to file, pdf or a printer. It also asks the output location. Does this mean that the print dialogue is part of the operating system more than it is part of the software application? I only ask this because I can't seem to find how to make the print dialogue save my preferences, such as where the file will be printed and in what format. I am not sure whether to ask on the application forums or on this forum. As it stands now, when I print stuff, I go through the entire process of choosing the format and output location over and over .. very time consuming.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Print Dialogue Save

Post by remoulder »

The Print dialog is simply there to print the page and defaults to whatever you have set as Default Printer. You need to set default options on the printer in the Printing app. Some applications, such as FF, have a Page Setup, that is where you need to configure the page but to set defaults for all pages see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1228123 post #7. For other apps print to file is always going to ask the location unless the app gives the option to set defaults in it's preferences.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
albert

Post by albert »

Thank you remoulder for your information. I noted that others, according to your link, are also having the same issues with the print to file. I suppose that one day in the future we will be able to choose where and in what format to print, and then have those prefs saved and not have to go through the whole process over and over.
albert

Post by albert »

remoulder wrote:The Print dialog is simply there to print the page and defaults to whatever you have set as Default Printer. You need to set default options on the printer in the Printing app. Some applications, such as FF, have a Page Setup, that is where you need to configure the page but to set defaults for all pages see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1228123 post #7. For other apps print to file is always going to ask the location unless the app gives the option to set defaults in it's preferences.
I went back to the link and followed the directions at post #7, by davegk,
Here's what I did (step-by-step, for someone like myself):
1. In Firefox, type "about:config" in address bar
2. Type "file" in Filter bar - you will see all your printers listed with option "Print to File"
3. Change print_to_filename - output location/file_name.extension for ALL of your printers to be the same - your desired file type and destination, in my case: /home/user_name/Documents/web.pdf Changing this for just printer_PDF and printer_Print_to_File won't work (well, it didn't in my case).
Now Firefox selects what format (pdf) and where to print instead of me having to choose each time. We will see what happens on restart.

I still haven't figured out how to make print to file the default printer, though. I reset the boolean operators for the printers but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Return to “Beginner Questions”