what is 'address in terminal'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaykav

what is 'address in terminal'

Post by kaykav »

good morning,
I read an article about using 'ssh'. They used a term of which I'm not familiar. What is meant by 'address in terminal'? The sentence is:
( Mary has a laptop machine she is the sole user of. Her username is mary and she has called her computer "laptop" her address is shown as mary@laptop in the terminal (bash)).
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chipps61

Re: what is 'address in terminal'

Post by chipps61 »

When you open a terminal window in most distributions of Linux (including Mint), it's just a part of the prompt that comes up. My username is "chip" and I named my PC "LAPTOP", so the prompt that shows in the terminal looks like: "chip@LAPTOP ~ $ _". It's nothing more than a notification of who's logged on and what machine name you're using.
kaykav

Post by kaykav »

thank you for your explanation......now I can continue my reading...... :)
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

The address is used when using ssh to log into another machine. For example, let's say I need to do some server work as root, so I'll log into the machine by typing:

ssh root@machine_name.domain.com
Linux User #384279

Return to “Beginner Questions”