Unable to reset the gnome panel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swabo

Unable to reset the gnome panel

Post by swabo »

My son has managed to delete everything from the lower right hand gnome panel in his user profile except the clock. I cannot seem to get this panel reset to the defaults. I have two main problems at this time.

1) There seems to be no way to add anything back to the lower right hand panel. Its as if there is no room to click to add something back. Clicking anywhere in the panel just brings up a menu to change the clock settings, not settings for the panel. I cannot get the 'Add To Panel' context menu item for this panel. I want to add additional applets like sound preferences and network manager if I could find the damn thing.

2) since the network manager is now gone, I have no way to turn the wireless on and off in this profile. This means I have to log in and turn it on for him in my profile to get network access. I have tried to add the network manager back to all of the panels, but I can not find it anywhere in the 'Add to Panel' interface. It just does not seem to exist, and its is crippling the use of this profile. Where is this applet located? How can I add it back? The 'Network Connections' portion of the control center does not seem to turn the wireless on and off. I am desperate to get this applet back because he is now unable to interact with the wireless and therefore unable to use the laptop unaided.

Hoping for any help I might get.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unable to reset the gnome panel

Post by deadguy »

Hi,

notification area is what you need to add from "add to panel"
try right clicking to the left of the clock a bit and it should give
you panel options.

Cheers,

Deadguy

Return to “Beginner Questions”