CD RW issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think this has been discussed in the forum, but I can't find it :)
Do you have more than one CD drive?
Could be mounting in one and not the other...
You say CD-RW - what about CD-R? Any difference?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

cd burning/kernel issues

Post by DealerMan »

I believe what you're experiencing is another ongoing kernel issue with burning CD's. Ever since 2.6, there are still unresolved problems with trying to burn CD's. I can burn DVD's no problem. I've tried everything worthwhile from all sorts of advice (running from command line, root, altering specific code within the program). I can't get it to work. It's my only remaining headache running Linux.

The one workaround that people recommend is running Solaris. Tried it, I couldn't even figure out how to add programs. :x
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I wasn't aware there was a problem burning CDs, and I haven't had any trouble doing so. I'm running Cassandra GNOME on my fast P4 system (with dual burners), and XFCE CE on an old P3 test system I built recently. I have burned quite a few Mint CDs to pass around to friends on both systems.

I just dropped a CD-RW disc in the drive and dragged a random sample of files to it and it is burning as I type (using Brasero on the P3 XFCE test system). Okay, it finished without error.

Funny thing, too; this burner was pulled from a Windows XP computer because it was NOT working. It could not write, or even read disks. But I put it in this old system to test it and so far it is working fine.

Anyway... sorry I can't offer any help other than letting you know that CD burning is working for me. I wonder if the problem is specific to certain burners, or chipsets?

Good luck.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's not the burning that has been discussed, but that it does not mount and that has clearly something to do with the kernel version as lolo uila knows :)
But as it does mount to read I don't really know any solution
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I doubt this will help, but it can't hurt. Try changing your cdrecord permissions:

Code: Select all

chmod 4711 /usr/bin/cdrecord
This, of course, should be done in a terminal as root.

john
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DealerMan »

No love there either, but thanks for posting it. I don't think it's a chipset problem either, as I used to be able to burn anything & everything when Fedora Core 4 was on this box (2.4 kernel). As soon as 2.6 kernel installed, that's when my troubles began. Maybe I should go back to FC4. Just kidding!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Certain versions of 2.6 have been giving problems, but I doubt of the kind we're discussing here....
This is a case where so many parameters could have an influence that it becomes very hard to find the solution
I could imagine that there's a problem with the burner program - try to (re)install brasero (is in the repos)

Return to “Beginner Questions”