Simple wifi prob

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JadeFox

Simple wifi prob

Post by JadeFox »

Hey all,

First off im new(ish) to linux, long time Windows user, so far unhappy experiences with linux due to my own stupidity but i hope to change that. So i thought id give it another go and about 4 hours in to using it i started messing round customising the menu.

I accidently got rid of the wifi menu in the bottom right hand corner by right clicking and remove from panel, can someone please tell me how to bring this back to the panel?

Many thanks, ive looked for ages now :/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Simple wifi prob

Post by beefstu »

Just right-click on empty place in panel --> add to panel then find Notification Area then click Add.
JadeFox

Post by JadeFox »

I tried this, its only brings up the updates for mint and volume options, no wifi at all, tis annoying becuase i have to use Windows to browse the interwebs, i have a buggy router where i have to disconnect the reconnect a few times to get online. any other ideas? thanks in advanced
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

It should appear on that menu. You can also open the Network Manager from the Mint Menu and add the connection manually from there.

Did you try rebooting once you added the notification area? I don't see why you should need to but worth a shot.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Try running the applet manually - press Alt+F2, type nm-applet and click Run.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
JadeFox

Post by JadeFox »

remoulder wrote:Try running the applet manually - press Alt+F2, type nm-applet and click Run.
Thanks this worked, after all the icons loaded, volume and the updates one the wifi still didnt appear, after typing this it suddenly sprung up and all worked again. After a few days away i turned it back on hoping to find it working but again its still not there, its seems this is a temporary fix. is there a permanent fix? i hate having to install it over again just to fix such a simple problem, its things like this that put me off linux :/

Thanks for your help so far all

Edit: it seems programs wont 'stick' to the taskbar, i.e. ill open firefox but it wont have the firefox window open on the taskbar anymore and when i minimize the window, it just disappears to nowhere. Any help?
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

To get the list of programs back, just right-click in empty space on the panel (taskbar) and goto add to panel and select window list.

Not sure why your settings aren't sticking though
JadeFox

Post by JadeFox »

So the only way to get wifi menu back is to reinstall? aww its things like this that put me off linux :/

Thanks anyway guys
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

JadeFox wrote:So the only way to get wifi menu back is to reinstall
Where'd you get that idea, no the problem is with your user settings in all likelihood? As a test try either creating another user, or rename the hidden .gconf folder in your home then log out and back in (this will put all your desktop settings back to defaults).

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
JadeFox

Post by JadeFox »

Ok so ive deleted the .gconf folder, logged out and back in and all went back to default. However the sound and updates now load but still no wifi. this is crazy! surely there must be a simple way to fix this? thanks for the help so far all
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Just run nm-applet again. Bit puzzling that it's not come back. Check your Startup Applications, are Network Manager and Gnome Settings Daemon ticked to load? You could also try clicking to remember running apps on the Options tab once you've run nm-applet. Have you made any other changes to your system that might have affected this?

JadeFox

Post by JadeFox »

remoulder wrote:Just run nm-applet again. Bit puzzling that it's not come back. Check your Startup Applications, are Network Manager and Gnome Settings Daemon ticked to load? You could also try clicking to remember running apps on the Options tab once you've run nm-applet. Have you made any other changes to your system that might have affected this?
ive checked startup apps, Gnome Settings Daemon is there and ticked, Network Manager is not there and i don't know how to find it, I haven't made any other changes to my system except remove items from my taskbar which seems to be very bad on my part :P

Also i just tried adding a new user, it loaded on the new user instantly but i dont want to use this new user as i hate having passwords, i remember one letter/no. passwords but when a min of 6 i always forget and thats where my linux experience ends... because i can never log back on again :/

Thanks for the help so far
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

JadeFox wrote:Network Manager is not there and i don't know how to find it
The entry in Startup Apps is just a link to nm-applet --sm-disable, so just create a new one and put that on the command line.

JadeFox

Post by JadeFox »

remoulder wrote:The entry in Startup Apps is just a link to nm-applet --sm-disable, so just create a new one and put that on the command line.
Im sorry, not sure what you mean its just a link and i think you meant type nm-applet --sm-disable in terminal? i tried that and nothing much happened.

Return to “Beginner Questions”