Question about Screen Resolution

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Question about Screen Resolution

Postby Ken_Kaniff on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 am

Hi there,

I've got a newbie question about screen resolution.

After my decent computer had died I got an old machine from a friend.

I decided to try Mint Linux 3.0 XFce. I like it a lot but I hate the screen resolution.

The desktop settings in my XFce show the available options:
1. (default)
2. 800x560
3. 640x600

Before, with the old computer I had better resolution. What does it depend on?
It's it the graphic card? If it is the graphic card, how do I determine what I'm running at the moment.

The only thing I know about the current machine is that it's got the 733 MHz processor and I'm running 384MB RAM memory.

Thanks, Ken.
Ken_Kaniff
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:46 am

There is a tool in xfce to change screen resolution - don't know where and what it might be called as my xfce install is screwed up at the moment - probably because the installation of Cassandra KDE I just made screwed up the UUID of my partitions :(
Otherwise you have to edit xorg.conf - lots of posts about that, but I hope you don't have to do it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions