problem on dsl connection (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
irly

problem on dsl connection (SOLVED)

Post by irly »

hello everyone I'm back again, i been using mint 8 for almost a month now, lately i use may usb modem to connect to the internet but now the internet demand is rising i decided to avail the (Bayatel DSL line)one of the biggest internet provider in the philippines. Now when the installation is done I already had the modem connected, they only give me username and password and they advice me to use windows, now can anybody help how can I use my mint again using this kind of connection? I already place the username and password on the network connection tab but it wont work on me..i need your suggestions...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: problem on dsl connection

Post by remoulder »

Afraid we need more information in order to help. If this is a DSL connection, have you tried setting up a new DSL connection in network manager. Can you see the DSL modem there? Not sure what you mean by the USB modem, is this the same thing?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
irly

Post by irly »

what do you mean by that? the only thing my provider give me is the username and password.
with regards to the USB modem its ok now, I been using it for about a month now zte modem, but here is my problem I already created a lot of new connection I already put my username and password to the dsl required fields but it always field to connect, how can I detect my modem? by the way I go back to win7 and create new connection using the username and password, it was successful...help me pls how can I make this work on mint 8.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

What type of connection? PPPoE? Are you using a router? What type of DSL modem?

You need to provide as much information as possible in order for us to assist you. We're not mind readers. ;)

Read this thread and then provide the required information.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561
Linux User #384279
irly

Post by irly »

nope I been using direct to modem connection my modem is ZTE (ZXDSL 831 series) that was my modem. my provider give me the username and password to connect to internet. I laready create connection on the DSL tab then put my username and password then set it up connect automatically, but it wont connect. hope this information is enough, further info please ask. im not very much particular about it...
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You may want to consider using the appropriate language forum as your english is making it difficult to understand you a little. If I understand you correctly, you can't get a DSL connection to work. See if this thread helps http://blogs.gnome.org/happyaron/2009/1 ... untu-9-10/, otherwise we need more information as per the forum rules in order to help.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Hello, maybe I could assist.

The OP used to subscribe to a prepaid-internet service -- SmartBro PlugIt -- and probably still has an active subscription. That's where the USB modem comes in. Now he opted to subscribe to Bayantel DSL. Bayantel provides him the modem, the username and password. The Bayantel technicians admonish him to use Windows, since that's the only OS they know and/or trained to use.

The confusion here was both subscriptions (SmartBro/Bayantel) kept getting mentioned and mixed up. His initial statement regarding the prepaid-internet service was just an introduction to his post, and really does not have any relevance to his main problem, which is getting Bayantel DSL to work with Mint.

Anyway, I hope this clears up the confusion.

Now, since Bayantel provided the OP a username and password, then most likely the protocol being used is PPPoE. Also, the way ISPs operate in this country, Bayantel most likely provided him a single-port ethernet-based modem-router combo. If that is the case, no further configuration as far as the hardware goes is needed. Since it's an ethernet connection, Mint will just "Auto eth0" it and everything should be automatic. Manually setting up DSL in the Network Manager applet is not necessary. The only configuration he has to make is access the modem-router's web interface, and put in the username and password in the appropriate fields. That's as simple as it should get.

I know I'm making way too many assumptions here, and TBH the only ISPs I have experience with are PLDT myDSL, Smart Broadband, and Globe DSL. Bayantel is only available in Manila. But seeing how the 3 ISPs set their connections with their subscribers, Bayantel most likely follows the standard as well. Still, I hope my educated guesses here are correct.

I hope the OP posts back to confirm if my statements above are accurate. Then base the next course of action from that point on.

P.S. I'd like to suggest to the OP to also refer to the following forums:
As of this writing, the ULOP site is still under maintenance, so the OP will have to wait a bit until the site becomes available. Also, it seems PinoyDSL's account has been suspended, although it used to work before.

HTH.

Update: It looks like Bayantel also have their own support forum too. The OP might want to peruse their site as well -- http://www.bayan.com.ph/forum/
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
irly

Post by irly »

@ Pilosopong Tasyo thanks for a very detailed clarification about my problem, I am already done in Auto Etho but the modem has no reply, still no connection on my mint 8, bought a Cisco router thinking that it will solve the problem I already connected the router to my pc, here is the set up(modem ===>>>>router===>>>pc), Cisco has its pc suits/ or what I call it pc support cd. I already installed the software the its working on windows, on other hand how still the mint 8 has no connection, @ Pilosopong Tasyo I already follow your suggestion but still I'm facing the same problem..Thanks for that..hope you still have the patience to figure out my problem :D
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Irly, see if you can access the links I posted above, particularly PinoyDSL and ULOP. I think they have a section in the forums dedicated to specific ISPs.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
irly

Post by irly »

Thanks to you guys.. I already set it up alright its working now, I just set up my router change it to PPPoE the put my username and password then just let my router distribute IP then my mint works fine, @ Pilosopong Tasyo your post is a great help... my mint now is rocking the house.., THANKS!

Return to “Beginner Questions”