Can anyone give me a review of the xfce version.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can anyone give me a review of the xfce version.

Postby trippboxer on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 pm

I have used Mint before and i liked it although i don't like the ubuntu base. I'm looking for someone who is not a Linux expert to give me a review of the xfce version of mint. performance, looks, ease of use. one of the big problems i have always had with most linux distros is the wifi setup.

trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:40 am

The XFCE version was reviewed at the Linux action show episode 57
http://www.linuxactionshow.com/
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lolo Uila on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 pm

ARGHH!! I just spent about 30 minutes typing in a detailed review, but when I tried to submit it the forum asked me to log-in again, and when I did it took me back to the reply page with an empty edit box! So, now that I'm too pissed and frustrated to type it all over again, you get the Reader's Digest version.

I like XFCE a lot for older, slower hardware. I prefer GNOME on faster systems because it has a more polished look. However, I found the XFCE desktop to be simple and intuitive to use, and had no trouble adapting to the new interface. I tried the KDE version as well and I found the XFCE desktop easier to adapt to.

I run a wired network at home, but I threw in a wireless card last night to try and had no trouble. The card showed up in the available network devices when I booted, and I was able to scan and locate 8 access points in my area. And this is with a card that, according to D-Link, is not supported in Linux. So much for up-to-date manufacturer info. :p

It runs extremely well on an old Pentium-III system I built to test it on. So much so that I have changed my mind about throwing out the old P3 hardware and I am going to build it into a proper computer (meaning, take the parts off of my coffee table and put them in a case) and find it a home. Running Linux Mint XFCE it is a very snappy and resposive system that is actually quite enjoyable to use.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:28 am

@ Lolo Uila
There is a time out for all (?) places where you login - mostly about 20 minutes without interaction with the server
So the next time open another page and do something with it now and then :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions