Stuck in auto-login loop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
filthywalrus

Stuck in auto-login loop?

Post by filthywalrus »

Hi. So I enabled auto-login on my account - I only have one account, if that matters. I restarted my computer and now I'm stuck in a sort of auto-login loop. Basically, it logs into the account without giving me a password prompt. I end up staring at the "default" background with no taskbar. I can use keyboard shortcuts to launch things like help dialog and the box that appears on login asking about joining chat etc. will also launch some programs for me. Anything that would require accessing the internet, any files, or the taskbar won't work. The main problem though is that I can't log out and log back in, meaning that I can't actually do anything other than look at help windows and shut down/hibernate/restart the computer. I'm stuck at the moment and google isn't bringing up anything relevant. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Stuck in auto-login loop?

Post by vincent »

No taskbar? What desktop environment are you running? If you're using the Main edition, you'd have GNOME, so try running "gnome-panel" in a terminal and see if your taskbar comes back...if not, paste the output here so we can try to work out the issue. Also, if you can't log out, you can forcibly kill the X server and restart it (thereby accomplishing the same thing) by pressing CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE.

Return to “Beginner Questions”