how do you download & install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimbo160

how do you download & install

Post by jimbo160 »

I am trying to find out how to download and install...http://www.openmovieeditor.org/index.html......I have Gloria7, as dual boot with windows xp. i download it, but get nothing but some files. just do not know how, i guess. thanks for some help, Jimmy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigBuckets

Re: how do you download & install

Post by bigBuckets »

Were you downloading the source?
Try the .deb file instead...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/ ... r/download
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

there is a note above that to add something to..../etc/apt/sources......? where do i find this, and can i just copy the example that is given? of all the list for north america, which do i choose, any? thanks for your help.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

jimbo160 wrote:there is a note above that to add something to..../etc/apt/sources......? where do i find this?
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list << this file/folder is where all the repositories are kept. If you've not do it before, 'be careful' about adding or deleting anything here.

Don't forget to back-up anything.

Is there a repository for this application? Check in Launchpad.net for one.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

vrkalak wrote:
jimbo160 wrote:there is a note above that to add something to..../etc/apt/sources......? where do i find this?
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list << this file/folder is where all the repositories are kept. If you've not do it before, 'be careful' about adding or deleting anything here.

Don't forget to back-up anything.

Is there a repository for this application? Check in Launchpad.net for one.
Yep!!! You actually should never delete anything unless you KNOW you will never need it again. It is usually better to just comment the line out with the # sign.
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

i went thru the process again, and it turned out ok. must have done something wrong at first. thanks for the help. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”