Pre-Linux Installation questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Undead

Pre-Linux Installation questions

Post by Undead »

I have a 160GB Hard Drive that has two partitions
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6123 ... hotkmb.png

but I'm not sure if If it's a good idea to use the partitioning tool in the linux mint install because I was bit thrown off that they both said Windows Vista though I'm sure that's not really the case but not sure if making space would affect Vista from booting..

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3156 ... hot1yt.png
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1343 ... hot2nq.png

As you can see..the other partition is just the HP Recovery and seemingly it's saying I have some errors on my Hard Drive too..

So can I get some advice on what to do about this? and If I should continue with the Installation after all..and whether it would be a good idea to use partition tool given that they both say windows vista..

Thx in advance..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Pre-Linux Installation questions

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If what the disk utility is saying about the drive is accurate, I would not continue with the Mint installation. The drive is near failure and should be replaced.
Undead

Post by Undead »

Thing is..I don't think it's accurate...I haven't had any issues with it on Windows Vista I think it might be linked to the two partitions I have on it though..and probably something that it doesn't like about them..but I guess if the danger is that great ...I guess I'll move on for the moment..might try to invest into an external hard drive if I need to later on..because I really do enjoy Linux Mint..but guess I can't dual boot it on my laptop then..
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You can try to install Mint on this hard drive if you think disk Utility is inaccurate. The setup you show in your first screenshot should work. The small partition you are concerned about is either the HP recovery partition shown in dick utility or (since mfgr recovery partitions are often invisible to disk checkers) a Microsoft Windows recovery partition. Either way, your proposed Mint partition is shown as not infringing on the partition so it should be okay.
mike555

Post by mike555 »

If your thinking about an external HD , why not get an enclosure ,then put a good HD in it , that way if you need to , you could take it out and put it in your computer ...... just my 2 cents worth ..

Return to “Beginner Questions”