[WARNING] Backup and restore Mint 8 -> 9 "Isadora" RC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

[WARNING] Backup and restore Mint 8 -> 9 "Isadora" RC

Post by ej64 »

Hi there!

Yesterday I've upgraded a Mint 8 32bit to a Mint 9 RC 64bit version. I followed the tutorial performing a fresh installation. Before I installed the new RC I made a backup of the data and the software selection.

Anything went fine until I restored the software selection, what left me with a system without mintmenu, without all the taskbar apps and with a big bunch of apps that do not start at all (eg. Firefox, Google Earth, Open Office ...).

Perhaps it's my fault since I made a cross upgrade 32->64 bit. But it's nowhere mentioned in the tut that there are issues making a cross upgrade this way. I thought Mint would recognize its version and would grab the appropriate software from the repos: the actual version of the softs and the matching bit-width. My guess: this is the problem. In this case the tutorial should include a warning.

But maybe I'm wrong and something else caused the trouble, since it was my 2nd and "test"-installation of Mint 8 and perhaps somewhat ill-configured (so no harm at this point). Anyway, tonight I will install Mint 9 RC 64bit again restoring my data but without restoring my software selection.

Alas, did I already mention my deep appreciation of Clem's and the team's work ... ? Thank you all! :D
Eberhard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [BUG?] Backup and restore Mint 8 -> 9 "Isadora" RC

Post by remoulder »

Bug reports for isadora need to be posted on Launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [BUG?] Backup and restore Mint 8 -> 9 "Isadora" RC

Post by ej64 »

Well, I did a fresh install once more.

Restoring my data caused the problem again, NOT the software selection.

The reason seem to be all the hidden configuration folders and files of my previous installation that have been restored together with my data. Having nothing to loose, I deleted all the hidden files and folders within my home directory...

Surprise, surprise! It works. :D

So please, include a warning, that these hidden old configuration files may have a severe impact on the installation and may lead to a totally crippled and useless system!

Thanks
Eberhard
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
distro hopper

Re: [WARNING] Backup and restore Mint 8 -> 9 "Isadora" RC

Post by distro hopper »

Yes, as software gets upgraded, occasionally, setup-file formats change, or different data is needed by a newer version. It's always a good idea to restore this information subjectively. Although it may seem nonsensical to backup a setup file/directory of a fresh install, it makes life a little easier if you need to revert.

Return to “Beginner Questions”