Wish to download Linux Mint. Which version please guide!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Wish to download Linux Mint. Which version please guide!

Postby general.rule on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:40 pm

I wish to download Linux Mint but I have found there are 3 types of Linux Mint available. 1- Gnome Full Edition, 2- KDE Edition and 3- XFCE Edition. Please guide me which one should I download. For your information I need the version of Linux Mint which is complete as well as easy to use; user friendly. I tried Ubuntu 7.04 but it seems difficult to deal with though I like its look. Please guide me. Thanks :)
general.rule
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Lolo Uila on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:54 pm

All 3 version are easy to use. If you have a reasonably powerful computer I'd recommend the standard version with the GNOME desktop. If you are running older hardware I'd go for the XFCE version. The XFCE version is still fully functional, but it uses less resources and runs faster (although GNOME looks nicer).

KDE is the most resource hungry, and to me doesn't offer anything that GNOME doesn't, and I find GNOME more intuitive and easier to learn. That's personal opinion, though.

You could just install one version, then install the other desktops and try each one. You choose a different session at log-in to change desktops. All 3 versions are very nice and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions