Installing PC OSX alongside Mint on hd

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installing PC OSX alongside Mint on hd

Postby mschilling on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:31 pm

When I open the disk utility in the OSX installer (10.4.3), it shows my hd as having a 1.5MB partition which I presume is Mint. I have used all of the hd when installing Mint instead of the half drive that is the default. Do I have to reinstall Mint? What order do I install these two systems to dual boot them on one hd? Thanks for any help.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:16 am

a 1.5MB partition
That would be a Mint chocolate :)
I can guarantee that there are no partitions of that size and even 1.5 GB would be to small (it's probably a small piece of the disk that's a "leftover" you can't use)
If you used the entire disk for Mint, then the entire disk is used - right? But I have seen some oddities, so....
Simply resize the partition to make room for osx - I don't know if osx can do that - if not do it from the live CD, gparted can't change the active partition
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mschilling on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:29 am

The 1.5MB partition appears to be a swap partition in the gparted menu. I thought I'd leave that alone and resize the rest of the space which is one large partition. I booted off the Live CD and tried that but gparted gave me an error. I then tried reinstalling Mint on the hd and got the same error when attempting to resize the partition. The next approach was to boot off the OSX cd and try their disk utility. It gives the option to partition the hd with different formats including a UNIX one. So I made one Mac OSX partition and two UNIX partitions and installed OSX on the hd. The installation went normally until booting up when it stopped at the desktop display and forced me to reboot so no luck there. The problem now is that the GRUB loader won't let me boot from the primary hd which has WinXP on it. It looks like it doesn't like the fact that the secondary drive's previous two partitions have been deleted (I think they were numbered 1 and 5). I get this message when trying to boot:

GRUB Loading Stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

Any suggestions for getting my Dell Latitude to boot again? Thanks!
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:51 am

mschilling wrote: I made one Mac OSX partition <snip> ... Any suggestions for getting my Dell Latitude to boot again?
We do not endorse or support software piracy. Thread locked.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions