Will Mint install on this computer?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tulsa

Will Mint install on this computer?

Post by tulsa »

I've used Ubuntu for several years, but the latest upgrade completely bricked my computer.

I'm purchasing a new computer anyway and am wondering if Mint will work on it. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion A4302F Desktop with 23" Display
* 2.80GHz AMD Athlon II 240 Dual-Core Processor
* 5GB Memory and 500GB Hard Drive
* DVD Read/Write Optical Drive (16x) with LightScribe Technology
* ATI Radeon HD Graphic Card (4350)
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
* HP MediaSmart, Microsoft Works 9.0, Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe and more
* 6 USB 2.0 Ports

I'm very disappointed with the 10.04 version of Ubuntu. It has caused me nothing but grief. Will Mint install on the above without destroying my new computer?

thx!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Will Mint install on this computer?

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome To Linux Mint
Well considering that you plan on buying new hardware, there may be unforeseen issues that no one has experienced, or is experiencing @ the moment.
Just as a note though, I have had very little issues with my HP's as compared to other hardware platforms that I currently own.
HP's have really good hardware usually, since they are a very large MFG.
In my experience with HP Laptops ( I own & use everyday my DV4-1275mx, x64AMD,4GB-DDR2,500GBSATA-HDD,ATI-HD Video,ect. ) hardware running various Linux Distros, The issues I have encountered have all been fixable by modification to the OS software, mostly simple mods.
These include, Sound Driver ( Fixed by Modding the ALSA) & wireless Driver ( Fixed by installing the Restricted Brodcom-STA Wireless Driver ).
These are common issues that are not limited to HP's, But a lot of Hardware , since most all hardware differs, & not all are the same, Therefore no Linux Distro anywhere can be pre-configured to work with all Hardware, because there are many variables & many different hardware platforms.
On a few occasions the OS Distros work perfectly with out issue, & they are constantly improved upon.
So this being new Hardware there is not currently a correct Yes or No answer that would tell you that the OS will work perfectly without issue, due to the fact that new hardware is usually untested.
To find a specific hardware issue you may search the Forums Here & or Ubuntu Forums with that specific hardware in the list Ex = ATI Radeon HD Graphic Card (4350) , & see if this returns any results & or modifications for a resolution.

I hope this gives you some insight to resolve your issue, Happy Minting
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

Burn a LiveCd and try it out.
tulsa

Post by tulsa »

Yeah, as soon as I clicked submit on my message, the Live CD idea came into my mind...lol

I'll try that as soon as I get it.

I tried the Live CD on another computer and really liked the elegance of the OS. Seemed like a good fit for me.

thx..

Return to “Beginner Questions”