Using a bigger antenna wifi?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephen4785

Using a bigger antenna wifi?

Post by stephen4785 »

Iv got a desktop out in my shop that runs mint. Id like to be able to log on to my wifi signal in my house but I dont get a good enough signal(my shop is about 20 yards from my house). I bought an yagi antenna and hooked up the cable in the back and I dont any better signal with it than I do with the small one that came with the card. I bought the antenna off of ebay and there was some sort of usb powered booster in the picture that didnt come with it. Do I need that booster or is there a way to adjust the power to the antenna or am I SOL? Iv used the same antenna for a router setup I had and it worked well but Im unsure how to get it setup when just using the linksys psi card.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Using a bigger antenna wifi?

Post by Biker »

A better solution may be to get a repeater. I use a Linksys WRE54G that I snagged off Newegg for about 30 bucks. The beauty of that particular model is it doesn't have to be hardwired to the router to work.
Linux User #384279

Return to “Beginner Questions”