Cassandra: Cannot login after stand alone XFCE install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cassandra: Cannot login after stand alone XFCE install

Postby pulsta on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:22 am

Hi there,

Was happily using Cassandra and thought I'd give XFCE a go so...

Went through the XFCE live cd install, created a new / partition for it and just reused the /home and /swap and username "pulsta" that Cassandra had...no big deal I thought.

Reboot and up came the new XFCE boot loader option which I then booted into XFCE and logged in with no problems.

OK, done with XFCE I then rebooted and then went into Cassandra as per usual...I get to the login screen, put in my user name and pass and...nothing happens!!!! it just goes back to user name entry again...xxx??

I try a few hundred times but to no avail...it just goes back to the user name entry prompt.

I reboot back in XFCE and find that my Cassandra home directory is now in /home/home/pulsta!!

In hindsight I should have just installed XFCE as a seperate session via synaptic or otherwise...but hey you live and learn.

So....

Is there anyway I can get back my Cassandra login?? or is it doomed??

TIA

Kerry
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted
pulsta
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 am

Ideally you should merge the two homes, but that's easier said than done. I assume that XFCE has a home in /home/pulsta
I could imagine that you copy /home/home/pulsta to /home/pulsta using tunar and you write down each file where you get a warning and do not copy
Then you examine each pair of files and copy the contents of the homehome file to the home file.
A bit of work but I would not expect it to be too much
and of course not all files and folders are equally important
You need at least some basic understanding to do this
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions