Linux Mint and Win suggestion

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alfamud

Linux Mint and Win suggestion

Post by alfamud »

Hi, im an user of Ubuntu, resently i found out that Linux Mint is a great (sexy look) Distro, im not a very skilled person in this computers word, but i love it.

I have 2 computers, my main has ATM, win7, the second one is used by N" Persons, so i change hes win XP for Linux, for obius reasons. and one has found that the old second computer has became faster & safer.

So i dicide that is time for a change, for all the reasons you all know, i want to change from win7 to Linux .

But heres my dilema: Im a full time gamer, from the moment i come back from the university, and i dont want to change my games *because i know linux has many games*, i have become good at them and invest some money too, so i was thinking, that linux is so cool that aloud me to have many OS installed in my HD.

I hope that i could find some advice in this forum.

1-How much HD space does linux mint require?
2-Does the fact of having 2 OS in my HD makes my computer slower? or even worst, Freeze?

and the one i will like to get more attention.
3. What ver. of Windows shull i get, because i will only use it to play the games dont need anything more. i was looking for Unattended editions of windows that migth reduce the amount of RAM that use when is on use, and that take out some useless thinks that have and make it smaller (coz most of wins are huge >.<").

4th question, ill just put it here, but if not anwsered ill look out the guide on the forum, do i have to make Partitions for the thinks?, like 1 for Linux mint os, other for linux docs pics and all of that (like the secure partt), and then make another part for win and another one for its documents.? wow wait i allready exed the aloud amount of partitions..., some idea?

Heres my PC Specs , ur going to notice my little HD space, plz take it in count, (i lose my job, so im clean xD) (and im saving for a good CPU, as u can see i have a sempron.

AMD sempron 256kbs cache (sniff) 3.N ghz the N represents the number i forgot xD
3gb RAM 667
Mainboard MSI
Nvidia Chipset

150gbs APROX of HD

thxs :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Linux Mint and Win suggestion

Post by Aging Technogeek »

1. Linux Mint will run easily in10 Gb, but to leave plenty of room for more stuff, 15-20 GB is better.

2. Many people dual boot Windows and Linux every day with no problems. Your computer specs are more than adequate for Linux.

3. Any version of Windows you are comfortable with will work. The only caution I would add is to install Windows on the computer first, then install Mint. It works better that way.

4. Partitioning, this is a subject more suited to a book than a forum post. The only partitions you absolutely need are one for Windows and one for Linux Mint. You can add whatever partitions you want to the Mint partition if you make it extended instead of primary. Do this by choosing manual partitioning and making your Mint partitions logical instead of primary.

For more detailed instructions on installation and partitioning, see this topic. It's 11 pages long but if you read and understand even 75% of it, you will never need to ask for assistance for partitioning and installation again.
alfamud

Re: Linux Mint and Win suggestion

Post by alfamud »

Huge thxs for the reply.
i have read the info u advice, now its cristal clear thank you...

Return to “Beginner Questions”