Any merit in installing v. 9RC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gob

Any merit in installing v. 9RC

Post by gob »

Hi

Is there any merit in installing the Release Candidate of v.9?
Will I be able to do an in place upgrade to the final release version through package updates or will it require a reinstall?

I already have the RC on CD and don't know whether to wait for another week or two!

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Any merit in installing v. 9RC

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Go ahead and install if you want to. If you keep up with updates via Update Manager, you will not have to do much, if anything, to upgrade to the final stable version as all changes from the RC will be published as updates when they are finalized.
gob

Post by gob »

Great - Job Done!

thanks
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Go ahead and install if you want to. If you keep up with updates via Update Manager, you will not have to do much, if anything, to upgrade to the final stable version as all changes from the RC will be published as updates when they are finalized.
So, if i have this correct, all we would need to do is keep up with the level 1 to 3 Mint Updates and we would then have the equivalent of the Mint 9 Final Release?

Also, if you could tell me which version of Java we need to install (from either the Software Manager or the Package Manager, to get the exact same version that is normally pre-installed on Mint?

Thanks...I was going to wait for the final release, but am tempted to go ahead and install the Release Candidate, if i could get the final version within it without having to re-install again in a week or so... :wink:

PS: Just wanted to add that i have been running the live cd of Mint 9 RC and it's been perfect on my 1 year old Toshiba Laptop with AMD 64 bit processor, Ati Graphics and 3 gbs of Ram....I have the 64 bit version in fact...GREAT! (currently running Mint 8 on the hard drive)...

Return to “Beginner Questions”