Disabling Login Password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vaporjourney

Disabling Login Password

Post by vaporjourney »

I've searched online and always find the solution to go into Control Center, and then the settings in the Logon Screen section. This must have been for an older version of Mint because when I go to the relevent section in Mint 8.0, there is no 'settings' tab.

Can anyone help me disable the login password that I need to enter when the computer is turned on or taken out of standby??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Disabling Login Password

Post by FedoraRefugee »

vaporjourney wrote:I've searched online and always find the solution to go into Control Center, and then the settings in the Logon Screen section. This must have been for an older version of Mint because when I go to the relevent section in Mint 8.0, there is no 'settings' tab.

Can anyone help me disable the login password that I need to enter when the computer is turned on or taken out of standby??
Oh, that is EASY! :D

Tell you what just give me your IP address and your password and I will do it for you! :wink:

To log in automatically there should be an entry similar to "login" under the system menu. You can tweak the standby settings in the screensaver GUI.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Go to the login screen item in the control center. The third line should read "Log in as(your login name) automatically". Click the button for this choice and you will no longer need to log in at boot.

To stop the login on return from suspend or hibernate do this.

in terminal, type gconf-editor and click enter.

In gconf-editor, under Apps, scroll down to Gnome Power Manager and open it

In the Gnome Power Manager sub-menu find Lock and click on it. In the right side window, remove the check marks before the entries Hibernate and Suspend.

Lastly, to remove the password requirement on return from screensaver, go to Menu=>Preferences=>Screensaver and remove the check before "Lock screen when screensaver is active"
vaporjourney

Post by vaporjourney »

Ah...thanks for the last reply. Exactly what I needed and took care of the problem. Thanks a ton. Loving Mint even more now...

Return to “Beginner Questions”