{solved}upgrading hplip to newest version

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manny433

{solved}upgrading hplip to newest version

Post by manny433 »

Hello friends

I am trying to upgrade hplip version 3.9.8 to 3.10.2 but have beenn unable to do so i get this error during install:
warning: There are 6 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.
Could you please help me resolve this issue?My printer HP Photosmart C4680 works fine with 3.9.8 i just think that if i dont
upgrade to newest version i might run into problems later on.Thank you for you help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: upgrading hplip to newest version

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Which version and edition of Mint are you using?

In general, if you are not having problems with your printer now, and you do not change to a different version or edition of Mint, you should not require any upgrades in hplip. The version you are using will keep on doing what it is doing now.

If you upgrade to Mint 9, the new version of hplip is installed by default.
manny433

Post by manny433 »

manny433 wrote:Hello friends

I am trying to upgrade hplip version 3.9.8 to 3.10.2 but have beenn unable to do so i get this error during install:
warning: There are 6 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.
Could you please help me resolve this issue?My printer HP Photosmart C4680 works fine with 3.9.8 i just think that if i dont
upgrade to newest version i might run into problems later on.Thank you for you help.
im using linux mint 8
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The missing dependencies are probably due to the fact that hplip 3.10.2 was released after Mint 8 was finalized and the newer libraries, etc. required by the new version were not available for inclusion in the repos for Mint 8.

You may be able to install them manually but this may replace some dependencies needed by other apps and cause problems in areas you cannot predict. On the other hand, it may work fine. All you can do is make good backups of everything you want to save and try the installation.

My advice is still "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". As long as your printer is working properly there is really no reason to install the newer version of hplip. You will get it anyway if you upgrade to a newer version of Mint.
manny433

Post by manny433 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Which version and edition of Mint are you using?

In general, if you are not having problems with your printer now, and you do not change to a different version or edition of Mint, you should not require any upgrades in hplip. The version you are using will keep on doing what it is doing now.

If you upgrade to Mint 9, the new version of hplip is installed by default.
Thank you very much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”