Limit Open Windows ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ijolumut

Limit Open Windows ?

Post by ijolumut »

hi everyone, I'm curious about to limit windows that open in my computer
I mean is there a way to limit an open windows,
it's because the resources of my computer is so low.

it's become annoying when I open to many windows, so make my Computer Freeze/Hang,
and I must restart it. So, your answer is I'm waiting for.

anyway, thanks for your help and sorry for my bad English :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Limit Open Windows ?

Post by vrkalak »

If you're using Linux, there are a few things you may need to "unlearn"

"It is recommended that you close all apps before proceeding" is a message you will fail to see. There is no reason to stop listening to online music, surfing the web, downloading updates or new programs and/or flipping back to your word processor, all while burning a music CD. The mouse tie ups common in other "multitasking" operating systems doesn't happen. You know the one where the icon becomes an hourglass and you are free to multi-task once the computer decides to give you cursor control back.

You now have Multiple Desktops. If you are new to Linux, you may still be working in the single desktop mode where you have 8 applications open, but all on the same page. Multiple desktops can be thought of this way. If you have 4 desktops, you have 4 computer monitors you can use. You can ONLY see one of them at a time, but you flip between monitors. This way, OpenOffice is open on one desktop, Thunderbird and Firefox on another desktop. None of these will slow-down your computer.

Read "Introduction to the Linux desktop". I know, we all hate reading the basics, but I highly recommend it.

Many good beginner's links can be found here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

To ijolumut:

I don't know of any setting (or program) that will do exactly what you want. You will just have to practice some restraint when running a bunch of applications at the same time. However, I found something similar that might interest you: ulimit and limits.conf

Since applications are essentially processes, you can set limits on how many can run concurrently. I never tried the above before, but reading the documentation about them seems to be sound and the closest you can use to achieve your goal. I'll leave it to you to read, understand and experiment with the links I posted.

HTH and good luck!

To vrkalak:

The OP wants to limit the number of applications (limit open windows = limit open applications) running at the same time, probably due to limited resources (particularly RAM). Reading his post in the proper context, I don't think his quagmire has anything to do with the mouse cursor turning into an hourglass or having the ability to use multiple desktops :mrgreen:
...OpenOffice is open on one desktop, Thunderbird and Firefox on another desktop. None of these will slow-down your computer.
The amount of usable RAM is inversely proportional to the number of running applications at any given time. :wink:

I'm not trying flame you, btw. Just stating my 2 cents. :D
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Every running Window should have a button showing in the Task Bar (Panel) . Here by right-clicking the button you can close any running task Window.
Get used to looking at the Task Bar in the Panel. It is one of the most useful things on the desktop.
I move my Panel to the top of the screen where it is more noticeable and easier to reach with mouse cursor, rather than dragging the cursor down to the bottom of the screen and up again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”