What Just happened? Mint 8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cabrego

What Just happened? Mint 8

Post by cabrego »

Post Topic Title Edited By Moderator
I installed Mint 8 a while back on my netbook without any major issues. Upon booting I get the Mint screen and I have to choose th drive I want to boot from. I usually boot to windows xp. While doing typical stuff online I visited my jobs webpage and signed in (which is something I normally do). I installed some kind of update to the web interface and it immediately restarted my computer.

Upon start up I thought I booted to windows like I normally do, but I got a message saying something I had never seen before. Something like "If you do this everything well be deleted.." something to that effect. Needless to say I was not happy to see that message. It gave me two pictures to choose from, man walking through a door, and a check mark. I picked the man walking through the door. The computer restarted and I got a grub error when the computer booted. I believe the error was no such partition.

I believe I some how screwed up my Mint 8 partition and the computer can not boot like it use to now. I am currently booting from my USB and Gpart indicates that one of my partitions is 'unknown' it is sda4 and it is 68 gb. It appears that my partition that contains all of my real data in windows is intact. I believe I gave sda4 all to mint, but I am not certain. What should I do to fix this? If I get the computer to boot from the windows restore partition (if it still exists) that would be great! Then I can reformat the screwed up partition and install Mint again. The good news is all of my windows data appears to be in sda1.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: What Just happened? Mint 8

Post by StanTheMan »

If you get to the point of re-installing Mint , I recommend creating Logical partitions for Mint , and leave all the Primary partitions to Windows .

You can only setr up four Primary partitions on a normal hard drive, and Windows uses one or more as hidden Primaries.
Linukx runs fine on Logical partitions.
cabrego

Post by cabrego »

How can I get windows to boot when I restart?
cabrego

Post by cabrego »

Well, I suppose I will just reinstall mint, and hopefully I will be able to choose which OS to boot with like I use to. I am suprised no one can give me any suggestions on how I might repair or solve my problem.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Try running testdisk to see if it can recover your lost partition.

It saved me from a major disaster once.
cabrego

Post by cabrego »

RichardH wrote:Try running testdisk to see if it can recover your lost partition.

It saved me from a major disaster once.

Thanks for the tip, I am booted from my USB right now-is test disk included in mint 8?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Test disk is not in the Mint 8 ISO, but is available for free download here.

Once you have downloaded the ISO for test disk, burn the image to a CD just as you would a Mint ISO. Boot from the CD on the affected computer and follow the directions.
cabrego

Post by cabrego »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Test disk is not in the Mint 8 ISO, but is available for free download here.

Once you have downloaded the ISO for test disk, burn the image to a CD just as you would a Mint ISO. Boot from the CD on the affected computer and follow the directions.
I have a netbook with no external CD can I boot this from a USB?

Return to “Beginner Questions”