frequent laptop fan use

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mgh520

frequent laptop fan use

Post by mgh520 »

I wasn't sure where to post this, but newbie seems as good as any since I'm brand-new to Mint.

I recently switched from Gentoo to Mint 8 and I've been very happy with Mint thus far. There is one issue I've been unable to solve. Compared to Gentoo (and Arch before that and Debian before that), my Compaq laptop fan seems to run almost constantly with Mint and the laptop stays quite warm. Even if the computer is idle and only my screensaver is on (just screen blanking, nothing fancy), the fan still frequently comes on.

I looked through the processes that are running for things like Beagle that might be working even when I'm not, but nothing jumped out at me. I also disabled compiz and all desktop effects just in case that could be the cause.

I'm using the "ondemand" cpufreq setting and I'm running Gnome. My laptop is probably 5 years old, but as I said - other distros didn't run it so hot and they were Gnome as well. My guess is that something is running in the background. I haven't really installed much else besides the base distro - I'm not running a webserver or anything off of this, just a basic desktop machine. Any thoughts on what it could be or other things I can try to diagnose this?

thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jesica

Re: frequent laptop fan use

Post by jesica »

sorry I am sure you can fix is in a terminal, and I would love to know how, because my eeepc does the same, but I know you get these funky fan docking stations you can use that brings the heat down
mgh520

[SOLVED] Re: frequent laptop fan use

Post by mgh520 »

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but for me at least, it appears this issue was mostly caused by my wireless on this Compaq Presario V2000 laptop. I had not been using wireless before, so that's why it was never an issue and the switch to Mint and wireless happened about the same time.
I went into Windows (this machine is dual-boot), and it was even worse -- an ran at top speed almost constantly.
Now, with wireless disabled, the laptop is running much cooler and the fan comes on much less frequently. Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”