This forum seems neglected.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Re: This forum seems neglected.

Post by Nick_Djinn »

However, you might try the Ubuntu forums. Most Ubuntu advice applies to mint as well, including a lot of command line codes.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

ezas wrote:Posted two days ago and not one reply.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48250

I think the OP has at least some validity.
I was going to ignore this at first, but the more I thought about it, the more irritated I became.

First of all, this isn't Windows. You don't have to wait for someone else to package up source files for Mint and place it in the repository. The beauty of Linux is you CAN go out, find the source files for a program, and install it yourself. You referenced post was nothing more than a complaint about the repository. You weren't really asking for help, but rather asking for verification to further your rant.

What's that? You don't know how to install a program from the source files? Then ask. Read up on it. It's NOT that difficult. But to come into a forum with a thinly veiled rant, expect people to respond to it and then complain the forums are "neglected" is silly.
Linux User #384279
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

ezas wrote:Posted two days ago and not one reply.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48250

I think the OP has at least some validity.
biker replied in part
First of all, this isn't Windows.
I would like to add that, unlike Windows Support, everyone answering questions on this forum is doing so purely as a volunteer. They come to the forum to use their knowledge to help others who need it and are willing to learn how to do things in Linux.

Some of the things that will almost guarantee that your post isn't answered are

1. Rudeness - Remember, these people are all volunteers, they do not have to and will not respond to arrogance, profanity, demands for instant replies, etc.

2. Vague description of problem in generalities - Be specific when you ask a question. Give details of the problem, some information about your system, what you have done to try to fix things. For a complete list of desired information see this post.

3. Generality in topic title - Few members will bother with topics titled too vaguely (example HELP!). They have a limited amount of time to spend here and they want to be productive. A topic title like "HELP!" tells them nothing about the problem and most will not take the time to read the entire post to see if they can answer the question. They have also learned over time that a vague title usually precedes a vague description and they have better things to do than spend hours or sometimes days getting an accurate description of a problem.
ezas

Post by ezas »

and I quote:

Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read.

I asked two easy questions, and did so I thought with respect. I simply asked if/and how old packages were removed from the repositories. And if anyone had a suggestion for a note taking app. I did not ask for anything to be fixed or for anything to be added to the Mint Repos. I had done my research and found that notebook-gtk2 was not being maintained. I didn't come here asking why it was broken or asking who could fix it.

What is so inflammatory about those questions that I deserved the 'this is not windows' and 'we are all volunteers" speech?

I did not start the thread all I did was show an example where I posed a question and got no replies. Did I lie about anything?, did I blame anything or anyone? It was an on-topic post to an active thread. I did not mention windows at all or say that this distro or this forum were better or worse than any other distro or forum.

Way to make me feel welcome.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

ezas wrote:and I quote:

Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read.

I asked two easy questions, and did so I thought with respect. I simply asked if/and how old packages were removed from the repositories. And if anyone had a suggestion for a note taking app. I did not ask for anything to be fixed or for anything to be added to the Mint Repos. I had done my research and found that notebook-gtk2 was not being maintained. I didn't come here asking why it was broken or asking who could fix it.

What is so inflammatory about those questions that I deserved the 'this is not windows' and 'we are all volunteers" speech?

I did not start the thread all I did was show an example where I posed a question and got no replies. Did I lie about anything?, did I blame anything or anyone? It was an on-topic post to an active thread. I did not mention windows at all or say that this distro or this forum were better or worse than any other distro or forum.

Way to make me feel welcome.
The sad part of all this is had you just left it with the initial thread you may have eventually got a response. Heck, you still might at that. But with your posts in this thread you are turning off anyone that might have helped you. Regardless of what your intent was in the other thread, your complaint here was heard loud and clear by most of us. I am sorry you were not made to feel welcome, but now you have alienated many. Good luck.

edit: I posted this as a response to your other post:
What kind of response are you looking for here? I am sorry your package was broken, I hope you find another that works. I am not a package maintainer so I am not sure what the procedure is. I would imagine that this is from the Ubuntu repo so this question might be better asked in their forum. Sorry I cannot be more definitive or helpful.

Welcome to Mint.
The reason why no one answered is probably because no one had anything intelligent to say.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

ezas,

My comments were triggered by your post but were in no way intended to be a personal attack on you. If that was not clear (and apparently it wasn't) I apologise.

I was just pointing out that many new members come into this forum with the attitude that their problem, for some reason, should receive instant attention and get upset when it doesn't happen. This tends to alienate forum members and these newbies have even more trouble getting answers.

I have only been a moderator for a couple of months but I have seen this so many times that I did something a mod should not do. I posted to a hot thread when I was a tad agitated myself. I must learn to avoid becoming involved in spirited discussions that I may later have to control and tone down.

I am sorry you took the heat on this one. It was not intentional.
ezas

Post by ezas »

Thanks to everyone who gave their side. That's all any of us can really can do. I found a note taking app I like called 'Basket'. I found it when I was looking for a 'ping' tool. Funny how things go like that sometime when you are searching the repos.

So I'm good with a combination of Korganizer and Basket. Basket is actually pretty cool. (which is my way of saying 'very' cool)

This should probably be in the other thread but I saw this in the unread stuff and stopped in to say no hard feelings and it all worked out in the end.

Return to “Beginner Questions”