Is there a software downloader similar to Ubuntu?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
domromer

Is there a software downloader similar to Ubuntu?

Post by domromer »

Normally I use mint main edition Helena. I really enjoy it for the most part. Last night I downloaded the latest Ubuntu and forgot how good their downloader interface is. I find it very easy to navigate. Is there a way to install that type downloader on mint? Also there seems to be a lot more available apps on the ubuntu downloader. I thought since mint was based on ubuntu I'd have access to all the same apps. For example when I type chrome on the ubuntu downloader I am given the option to download the chromium os. When I type the same thing on mint install it doesn't seem to be available.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Is there a software downloader similar to Ubuntu?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Check the new Software Manager in Mint 9. It is similar to Ubuntu's software downloader
buayadarat

Post by buayadarat »

You can add the Ubuntu software center in Mint . In this thread it says how to do it:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p269355

But it also says, that it is not recommended. But I remember that I have read here from users who use it without problems.

Anyway, probably the best solution is to wait for Mint 9, as already suggested.
domromer

Post by domromer »

Thanks for the info. I'm downloading the beta now.
buayadarat

Post by buayadarat »

Mint 9 is here and the software center is great. Probably no need for the one from Ubuntu anymore.

Return to “Beginner Questions”