updating packages [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
albert

updating packages [SOLVED]

Post by albert »

Recently I have tried updating certain packages to the latest builds. In the first case, with pango-1.28.0 as I was told that an error occurring rendering text in Dia is linked to an older version. When I followed the instructions to build the package I got a series of errors. Is there a way to simply update to the latest version without downloading and building manually?
The next issue occured today with attemting to update to the latest version of Avogadro. This is the error:

~/avogadro-1.0.1/build $ cmake ../
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- The build type is Release
-- Performing Test HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY
-- Performing Test HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY - Success
-- Performing Test COMPILES_WITHOUT_FPERMISSIVE
-- Performing Test COMPILES_WITHOUT_FPERMISSIVE - Failed
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:1432 (MESSAGE):
Qt qmake not found!
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:126 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Once again, is there a way to have the package manager install the latest version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: updating packages

Post by Kendall »

A lot of packages are codependent upon certain versions of either other. Until all necessary versions for all the dependencies have been built and tested it will not come through the update manager. The options here are to either manually install all of the dependencies as well, or to go ahead and debianize all the source code and maintain them in a separate repo.
albert

Post by albert »

Kendall wrote:A lot of packages are codependent upon certain versions of either other. Until all necessary versions for all the dependencies have been built and tested it will not come through the update manager. The options here are to either manually install all of the dependencies as well, or to go ahead and debianize all the source code and maintain them in a separate repo.
Yes. With assistance, Avogadro was manually installed. I am working on finding out about Pango now.
albert

Post by albert »

Kendall wrote:A lot of packages are codependent upon certain versions of either other. Until all necessary versions for all the dependencies have been built and tested it will not come through the update manager. The options here are to either manually install all of the dependencies as well, or to go ahead and debianize all the source code and maintain them in a separate repo.
I've installed Pango 1.28.0 but wonder: is the older version still in effect? Seems that the issue with script rendering in Dia is still present. How does one tell what version is being used for Pango etc.?
albert

Post by albert »

Fresh install of LM9 (erased LM8 completely)
Install Dia from Synaptic Package Manager (maybe Pango has been updated ..)
Export in Dia of text on diagram which contains string which had issues prior (export to Cairo Portable Document Format)

Result: no problems rendering text :D

Note: Acrobat not installed as in last version

Return to “Beginner Questions”