Mint 9 monitor trouble and panels disappear accidentally

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Francous

Mint 9 monitor trouble and panels disappear accidentally

Post by Francous »

This is great but what if all the panel are gone ? all
I can't open anything ..
My controls were on the second monitor.. thinking if i disable the monitor all controls will then go to the active monitor.. well on linux . nope.. i'm doomed..
So i need a way to open my Nvidia controls and activate my second monitor or add a panel on my active empty monitor.. I hope i made some sens.. ;)

Panels are way to easy disappear accidentally and they did on my first minitor..

Thank you for the help you may give me..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Mint 9 monitor trouble and panels disappear accidentally

Post by dawgdoc »

Francous,

give this a try.
Push the key combination Alt+F2
in the box that opens, type xterm <enter>
in the terminal that opens

Code: Select all

gksu nvidia-settings
recent-convert

Post by recent-convert »

I think everyone makes some kind of deleting-panel mistake. I did, my colleague who just got interested in Linux did last week... is this a rite of passage?
Francous

Post by Francous »

Ok here what i did just before i went to usr/app then found the nvidia controls reset my second monitor and saved and at reboot it work.. The Alt/F2 was simpler LOL.. Thanks good to know..
Now my only trouble left is that all my panels are stuck in my second monitor.. how do i do to drag them into my first monitor..

Thanks guys !! :)
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Francous wrote: Now my only trouble left is that all my panels are stuck in my second monitor.. how do i do to drag them into my first monitor..
Thanks guys !! :)
It may be possible that you have incorrect settings and can correct this by changing the monitor settings.

Code: Select all

gksu nvidia-settings
then see which monitor is set as primary and secondary. It may be that your second monitor is now set to be the primary and all you need to do is switch your first monitor to be the primary.

You can also get to the settings from the menu. It's just that unless you make changes as root, the will most likely not be "sticky" once you reboot.

I believe, depending on your settings, that you will only have panels on one monitor. I only once connected a second monitor as a check on my laptops hardware and am away from the house at the moment so I am unable to check.
Francous

Post by Francous »

So my monitor 0 is my main that have no panels and the 1 is the other with all panels.

Having an SLI system the monitors have each a set of desktops. but i can't toggle them from the monitor 0 ofcourse.
If i go to the terminal and reset the panels it will reset only the panels of the monitor 1...

Thank you
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Not to hijack this thread, just a quick reply to the following post.
recent-convert wrote:I think everyone makes some kind of deleting-panel mistake. I did, my colleague who just got interested in Linux did last week... is this a rite of passage?
I don't think it's a rite of passage, but more of an honest mistake by curious newcomers/Windows defectors eager to play around with the panels. If you find yourself in the habit of moving or deleting applets or panels by mistake but wish them to stay put, you could download a lockdown utility called pessulus. It's in the repositories.

HTH. We now return to your regular scheduled thread :D
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Francous

Post by Francous »

Pilosopong Tasyo not at all off topic, this is good and very true.. ;)

Since Apple became worse than M$... Linux's is a window of hope for many! ;)
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Francous,

See if this Topic helps.

In the forum I used the search string: panel + monitor
Francous

Post by Francous »

Well i passed .. :) Got my panels back huurray !

Thanks for the help !
Now i have to figure out the thing to move one windows from my monitor 1 to the number 2, i think it's about Xinerama..

Return to “Beginner Questions”