Grub2 problem with dual boot LM9 and Win7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nickwolf333

Grub2 problem with dual boot LM9 and Win7

Post by nickwolf333 »

My first hard drive has Windows 7 on it, and a second drive with 200 GB NTFS space and 300 cleared for Linux. I had LM8 installed on there just fine, and whenever I reset the computer the Grub bootloader would appear with no problems. I cleared the LM partition and ran bootsect from the Windows 7 disc to clear out the MBR, then installed LM9. When I reset after the installation, though, the computer would just directly load into Windows 7. Is there something I need to be doing with Grub while the LiveCD is still in? Is it possible to remove Grub2 and reinstall Grub?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: Grub2 problem with dual boot LM9 and Win7

Post by mick55 »

Grub2 has probably installed itself to the MBR of the drive Mint is installed on.

A simple fix may be to go into your BIOS and select that drive as your boot
device instead of the Windows drive. Grub2 should have detected Windows
and will have the option of booting into it.

If this method does not work for you, you can re-install grub or grub2 from the Mint Cd.

Grub is now called "grub-legacy", and grub2 is now called "grub".

Return to “Beginner Questions”