Installed and Upgradable in LM9(SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Installed and Upgradable in LM9(SOLVED)

Post by mintymintminty »

Can someone kindly help me out here, Since doing a nice fresh install of Isadora if i go to synaptic package manager and go to my installed (upgradeable) Theres quite a few things there like Hal update as well as kernel updates, Is it safe for me to go ahead and upgrade them all or is that not needed or important?

Many Many thanks in advance :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installed and Upgradable in LM9

Post by remoulder »

mintymintminty wrote:if i go to synaptic package manager
The recommended update method is to use mintUpdate, you do not have the Mark all Updates option in synaptic for this reason. The default settings in mintUpdate will not show potentially dangerous updates, such as kernel updates, the intention being to only show updates that will not create a potentially unstable system. Depending on your level of linux knowledge (IOW how to fix problems), you may want to risk such updates, in which case place a tick against levels 4 & 5 under the Visible column in mintUpdate preferences, this will then show these updates but not select them by default. If you do not want to risk them then you can just ignore them. Personally I install all updates and haven't suffered any major instability to date though as always, backups are essential.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”