iPod Nano 1st gen not recognized by Banshee

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ComputerDoc

iPod Nano 1st gen not recognized by Banshee

Post by ComputerDoc »

Anyone know why my nano isn't recognized by banshee?
Running Asus Core 2 Quad with 8 gigs RAM, 1 Gig EVGA 9500 pci express video card, Isadora 9.0 final release, 64 bit.

Banshee in Ubuntu 10.4 recognizes the 1st gen nano, but not in Mint. I've revisited the repositories, and am confident I have all the req'd plugins installed and active. Not a deal breaker, but it's got me scratchin my noggin.

I do prefer this distro to the Ubuntu distro, but I'm a noob; so command line stuff is still a bit foreign to me in Linux. I've googled this, but to no avail. If this helps, Mint 8 Helena didn't see the nano via Banshee, either. the iPod mounts properly when plugged in via my USB port, and I can read the directories, but Banshee's not seeing it.

Thanks in advance for opinions!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RepElec

Re: iPod Nano 1st gen not recognized by Banshee

Post by RepElec »

The only thing I can suggest is double-checking Banshee to make sure iPod support is enabled, but for what it's worth we've been having difficulty getting Mint to read and access iPods as well. We're using a third-generation iPod Classic.

Anyone else in Mintland having issues with Jobs' overly restrictive and expensive offerings?
ComputerDoc

Post by ComputerDoc »

It's installed, and checked as active. I'm curious here as to what the fix may end up being.
RepElec

Post by RepElec »

ComputerDoc wrote:It's installed, and checked as active. I'm curious here as to what the fix may end up being.
Maybe some of these suggestions from Ubuntu might help you or someone else?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

We're scheduled to revisit this problem this evening over here, so if you don't find a solution for your problem by then I'll come back and update as to what we tried and what worked (or, most likely, failed). If you DO, we'd love it if you would tell us because we've not been terribly successful to this point. :)

Dammit, Steve Jobs, get back to your roots and quit being such a money-grubbing attention whore. SUPPORT LINUX!
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

I had the same problem with a Nano 2g and Banshee. I'm not sure of the specifics but auto-mount in Nautilus doesn't seem to play well with the banshee iPod plugin. Not sure where the fault lies. The work around I found is to disable auto-mount in Nautilus. The drawback is that things will obviously not auto-mount anymore, so DVD's and what not will not show up on your desktop right when you plug them in/insert them. You will have to click on the device/Media in Nautilus to mount it and do the "when I put in this Media do this" function. For example if you have it setup so that when a DVD is inserted it starts playing automatically in VLC after disabling auto-mount the DVD will not play in VLC until you click on it in Nautilus(there by mounting it). I have no idea what the implications for network drives or shares are, as I have neither.

Here's how to I got my iPod Nano 2g working with Mint 9 x64 and Banshee 1.6.

1. Open a terminal and type "gconf-editor" press enter.

2. Navagate to apps > nautilus > preferences.

3. Uncheck the box in front of media_automount.

4. Close gconf and terminal.

5. Open Banshee and navagate to Edit > preferences > Extentions > Device Support and make sure the box next to "iPod Support" is checked.

6. Restart Banshee.

7. plugin your iPod.

8. Double click on your iPod in Nautilus. It should show up in Banshee now.
Jezzr

Post by Jezzr »

The above fix worked with my 5th gen video ipod as well.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Jezzr wrote:The above fix worked with my 5th gen video ipod as well.
From what I gather it's pretty universal. You'd think a bug this obvious would have been caught. That's why I'm not a big fan of a rigid release cycle.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

JasonLG wrote:
Jezzr wrote:The above fix worked with my 5th gen video ipod as well.
From what I gather it's pretty universal. You'd think a bug this obvious would have been caught. That's why I'm not a big fan of a rigid release cycle.
same here...I won't use Fedora because they have no long term support releases.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro

Return to “Beginner Questions”