Linux Mint 9, wont start up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dustykhan

Linux Mint 9, wont start up

Post by dustykhan »

i have just installed Linux Mint 9, and restarted after the install but the load freezes on the 5 green dots. any ideas what could be wrong..?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mr. Alex

Re: Linux Mint 9, wont start up

Post by Mr. Alex »

Try to press different buttons on your keyboard until system boots. Next time it should be better.
Ubuntu becomes worse & worse...
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I have first try to run Live CD, It boots, I get the screen, WiFi connected. Whenever I try to access any program -like Oo word, Firefox etc. it freezes. Mouse & Keypad get disabled. I have to switch of power to come out as input devices do not work.
Scared to install LM9 - I run Gloria 64....
Any advice.
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

dnmint wrote:Any advice.
Yeah, migrate to Debian. :)
Seriously, Ubuntu is awful! I hate the way GNU goes... It's a Windows way! Glamourous and "easy-to-use" OS. This causes almost all the problems we face. Mint is a great idea based on bad distribution.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Mr. Alex wrote:
dnmint wrote:Any advice.
Yeah, migrate to Debian. :)
Seriously, Ubuntu is awful! I hate the way GNU goes... It's a Windows way! Glamourous and "easy-to-use" OS. This causes almost all the problems we face. Mint is a great idea based on bad distribution.
What distro would you recommend...
I have Intel core2 duo - 2 GB RAM on my desktop.
Thanks
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

This is really enough for any distribution. So you need to look at your needs. Simple distros - Mandriva & Suse. BUT! You get the same system full of bugs (trust me: Mandriva IS "buggy"). Easy to use - easy to crash I would say... :) Stable distros - Debian, CentOS, Arch. But they are more difficult since they have less auto-tools. It's up to you to decide.

Return to “Beginner Questions”