dvd drive... wont open :?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
baffle-boy

dvd drive... wont open :?

Post by baffle-boy »

i got a new dvd drive today (its a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7240S-0B DVD burner) and i think most things work fine, except for one MASSIVE problem... it doesn't open when i press the open button :evil: . i thought it was mechanically broken, but it opnes perfectly fine in window$ XP. basically, when i press the button, it either makes a noise and does nothing, or it quickly opens a little (between i cm open and 3 quarters open) and closes again before i can do anything about it...

im running mint8 KDE and this is my lspci

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 761/M761 Host (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SATA (rev 01)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Goulash51

Re: dvd drive... wont open :?

Post by Goulash51 »

Do you have a cdrom / dvd in the drive when you boot into mint? Just wondering if KDE or another app has mounted it or is trying to mount it, hence why when you tell it to eject it tries to pull straight back in. If not, have you tried to see what happens if you use a paperclip to manually eject it and pop in a disc?
baffle-boy

Post by baffle-boy »

when i first installed it and booted up... nothing was in there, and the result id the same if i opne it in window$ and insert a disk there... it doesnt want to stay open for me. and will opening it with a paperclip... do damage? im 100% sure that this is n't some mechanical problem though, it works great in wondow$... so maybe its something about the kernel/drivers? :? if i don't figure this out soon, it will be to return it... :cry:

UPDATE: VERY strange... when i clicked the eject button in the kde "device notifier" the dvd drive actually opened all of the way, only to close again immediately, half the time it does this, and the rest of the time it tells me the files are in use by naother application. i managed to snatch the disk out while it was open... then realized that i couldn't open it again because there is nothing in there to be ejected :evil:

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: soo, the dvd drive opens... and stays open absolutely fine in bot xp and GRUB2... but it seems as though something that happens when mint starts is causing this to happen, e.g. this is entirely mint's fault ;) . in fact, i tried leaving the drive open when starting mint, but it closes automatically as soon as i select it from GRUB2 and then mint hangs for a seconf at a balck screen with a weird line at the top... as though it's searching for a disk. when i already have a disk inserted some text flashes across the top of the screen WAY too fast for me to read (something about SATA i saw), that happens every time i boot with a disk in. :? weiiiiiiird

FURTHER UPDATING: i tried burning something in K3b, and all appeared to go perfectly, except when i close k3b it says "Data0 has unsaved data" and if i click save, it gives me a browser to save the file i "burnt" to the dvd, and the dvd i no longer writable, as though it worked, yet there is nothing on it and the device notifier still gives the option of making a project with k3b. :cry: then i tried burning again... and it worked flawlessly... odd :?

it turns out i can open the drive enough with the device notifier, then force it to stay open for long enough that it wont close itslef anymore, however i still can't burn data :|
bruisedme

Post by bruisedme »

Interesting problem. I had this problem with past Ubuntu and Xubuntu distros. I figure it's a glich in the linux driver Ubuntu uses for some CD\DVD drives. I had this problem with Ubuntu 8.xx & 9.xx family distros with a Dell GX60. Its did this drawer thing with both the Dell internal drive and an external LG CD\DVD drive. I just used a large paperclip or a plastic "straw" that comes with canned air to open the drawer. The LG would close right back up after it opened 1/2", so I was ready to use my other hand to prevent closure and forced it open. Both drives are still very usable.

I never had this problem with my two drives in a Dell XPS 400 gaming PC. One of the drives is an LG multidrive, CD, DVD, RAM disk.

Get this. At first there was no problem with Ubuntus & my GX60 or my GX620 but after a few weeks the tray problem began. At first, I could press eject but then that option stopped.

By the way, forcing the tray open did not hurt any of my drives. I opened the trays when possible by pushing the button on the drive BEFORE any ubuntu distro booted. Other times, I just forced it open.

I say "glich" because I never had this problem with any version of Puppy Linux, Knoppix, or Damn Small Linux, etc. --just with unbuntu and ubuntu based distros.
dagst47

Post by dagst47 »

I've had a similar experience- using a MacPro with Mint 9. On an apple keyboard, there is an eject button (top right along the row of Function keys). Interestingly, gnotify provides the appropriate "Eject" notification when this key is used, but then nothing happens with the DVD drive!

If I open a terminal and type "eject" (to open) and "eject -t" (to close), everything works normally. The device mounts as it should, and everything appears to function.

My situation is not exactly as you describe above, but it seemed appropriate to post here. I think this is a software issue somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Any ideas? Perhaps a keymapping providing the wrong command somewhere??

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”