automount cdrom at cdrom not cd's label

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mlippert

automount cdrom at cdrom not cd's label

Post by mlippert »

Hi,
The auto-mount feature usually is great, especially for usb flash drives.

However I just decided to see how World of Warcraft would run on linux under wine (I've seem many people saying it runs great, and it's probably the only thing left that keeps me with a Windows box running most of the time).

However the Installation for WoW is on 5 cds. When the install finishes with one cd it requests that the next cd be put in the drive.

But the 1st cd was mounted at /media/WoWDisc1 and the 2nd cd was mounted at /media/WoWDisc2, and the installer isn't finding it.

I see a /media/cdrom0 directory, which is linked to by /media/cdrom (which is linked to by /cdrom), but the cd isn't being automounted there, it gets automounted based on the label on the CD (in these cases WoWDisc1 and WoWDisc2).

I looked in /etc for an auto mount configuration file (auto.master or auto.home or autofs are names I've found when googling) but didn't find one.

So I'm not sure how this automounting is being done on Linux Mint (I happen to be running Linux Mint 8 KDE 64 right now).

I'm sure there's a solution, but after not finding anything that seemed directly applicable to what I see on my system, I thought I'd ask before messing things up.

BTW there is no entry at all in my /etc/fstab for the cdrom.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: automount cdrom at cdrom not cd's label

Post by Fred »

mlippert,

In a terminal, one line at a time:

sudo su

mkdir /media/cdrom

echo "/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,ro,users" >> /etc/fstab

The cdrom will probably be recognized as /dev/cdrom as shown above but if it is recognized as something else, ie. /dev/sr0 or some such then just change the /dev entry above to /dev/sr0 instead.

See if that doesn't help. :-)

Fred
mlippert

Post by mlippert »

Thanks Fred I'll give that a try, although since /media/cdrom0 already exists I'll mount it there.

Umm, I do see /dev/cdrom

but the automount shows up when I run mount as:

Code: Select all

/dev/sr0 on /media/WoWDisc2         type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=1000,utf8)
which makes me wonder if using /dev/sr0 would be better than using /dev/cdrom in fstab?

So if this does work, could you (or someone) explain how these things (the automount using the drive label and fstab) work in conjunction with one another, and perhaps where the automount configuration comes from or what utility/daemon is doing the automounting?

Thanks for your quick reply, I'm going to give it a try now. (Edit: That worked great, Thanks again! Oh and I used /dev/cdrom not /dev/sr0)

BTW I find it easier to find /etc/fstab w/ dolphin and use the right click menu Root Action Edit as text to make changes to it. Although much harder to tell someone else how to do :-)

Mike
Fred

Post by Fred »

mlippert wrote:
BTW I find it easier to find /etc/fstab w/ dolphin and use the right click menu Root Action Edit as text to make changes to it. Although much harder to tell someone else how to do :-)
Bingo! We understand each other perfectly. :-)

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”