My processor is 64bit, but Intel, not AMD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScottFavor

My processor is 64bit, but Intel, not AMD

Post by ScottFavor »

I wish to move from Fedora to Mint because I've read online that many people have successfully been able to view CNBC videos using the Mint distro.

But I'm confused by the LiveCD versions. There is a 32-bit option, and the 64-bit option is described as AMD64. Does that mean that I must use the 32-bit configuration for my 64-bit Intel machine and that the 64-bit version only works with AMD's processors?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: My processor is 64bit, but Intel, not AMD

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The amd 64 version will run on Intel hardware. I'm typing this on a Dell computer with an Intel Quad core processor running Mint 9 amd 64. The amd in this instance does not refer to the AMD CPU but is only a naming convention.
Witwicki

Post by Witwicki »

Be that as it may, all Mint releases prior to 9 named their 64-bit distributions "x64" (which has no processor brand connotation). I find this deviation a little unsettling.

I wouldn't have given it a second thought had there been some explanation on the downloads page after clicking "amd64" (or even a list of system requirements).

-W
deleted

Post by deleted »

Witwicki wrote:Be that as it may, all Mint releases prior to 9 named their 64-bit distributions "x64" (which has no processor brand connotation). I find this deviation a little unsettling.

I wouldn't have given it a second thought had there been some explanation on the downloads page after clicking "amd64" (or even a list of system requirements).

-W
AMD64 is an industry standard name. Historically Intel came up with 64-bit, but it all but faded since folks didn't want to abandon the i386 (x86) instruction set, so AMD lead the way by creating a 64-bit chip compatible with i386 (x86). Not to be left behind, Intel adopted AMD's technology and called it EM64T. It is 100% compatible with AMD64.
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=X86-64&gwp=13
-Hinto
Witwicki

Post by Witwicki »

Understood. I wasn't questioning compatibility or correctness of the name "amd64", but rather Mint's lack of documentation (and inconsistency) in their naming schemes.

-W
deleted

Post by deleted »

Witwicki wrote:Understood. I wasn't questioning compatibility or correctness of the name "amd64", but rather Mint's lack of documentation (and inconsistency) in their naming schemes.

-W
It's Mint converging on a standard.
The linux world seems to be using AMD64, whereas Windows is using x64. x64 is really a poor choice since it's the x86 instruction set (not x64).
-H

Return to “Beginner Questions”