Laptop-Screen Lightening

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BenHH

Laptop-Screen Lightening

Post by BenHH »

Hello Forum,

I'm working with Linux since two days and be very happy. Just one thing is annoying I can't adjust the screen lightening. Of course I tried to adjust the display brightness through the power management but nothing happen. I'm using a HP Pavilon dv3550eg ... does anybody have a solution for me?

Thanks a lot

Regards from Hamburg

Ben
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Laptop-Screen Lightening

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Hello and welcome to Linux Mint.

You can adjust the brightness of your notebook's display through the keyboard. Look for a key labeled Fn (it's usually located at the bottom left corner). Then look for the keys that look like sun icons (usually superimposed on the Fxx keys across the top). Press Fn+Fxx to adjust the brightness to your liking.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
BenHH

Post by BenHH »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:Hello and welcome to Linux Mint.

You can adjust the brightness of your notebook's display through the keyboard. Look for a key labeled Fn (it's usually located at the bottom left corner). Then look for the keys that look like sun icons (usually superimposed on the Fxx keys across the top). Press Fn+Fxx to adjust the brightness to your liking.
Hello & thx for the fast reply.

I already tried the function key but unfortunately nothing happened even though I got an optical note that the lightening was changed (after pressing the function keys).
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

Hi,
edit /etc/default/grub

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub 
change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"
After that don't forget to run

sudo update-grub
& reboot

If it doesn't help, try there:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
artemhp

Post by artemhp »

Hello, I have the same problem too.
Laptop Samsung X11, Nvidia 7400 Go
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

artemhp wrote:Hello, I have the same problem too.
Laptop Samsung X11, Nvidia 7400 Go
Have u tried my previous post?
hernando

Post by hernando »

I'll try that at home. That worked for me with mint 8.
Now in mint 9 (and in ubunt 10.04) my computer freezes when i try to change brithness with the Fn+bright key. Totally freezes the computer, and i have to force shutdown.

I'll try your post.
Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”