grub is broken

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snodgrss1984

grub is broken

Post by snodgrss1984 »

i installed debian on my windows machine with gnewsense and then couldnt get into system so also installed pc linux 2010.1 along windows partition now i have pc os with 2 drives that i can not boot into although they are still there... i could really use some help how can i get to them all could i some how install a new bootloader and keep it all
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: grub is broken

Post by JasonLG »

My guess is that use different versions of grub. Install the one with the newest version last, boot into it and update grub.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

Boot from the PCLinuxOS 2010.1 Live CD, and run More Applications > Configuration > Redo MBR (at least, that's where it is in the KDE version).

That should get you on the road again.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

so if i do that from pc os all the systems will be there thank you ither way i will try that
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

ok now i have both linux back how can i update grub and will that bring back windows
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

fyi the reason i say this is because i dont have windows and debian stops at waiting for root system
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

ok so are people ignoring me now because i need more help then some with grub or is this the best help i can get
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Why should people help you when you refuse to provide the information that's requested of you? Google is your friend. Use it and stop cluttering up the forums with useless requests for help.
Linux User #384279
tomast

Post by tomast »

WOW nice response... :-(
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

tomast wrote:WOW nice response... :-(
Maybe you should try and figure out what the situation is before you make judgment! You can start by looking at the OPs previous posts. This has been going around in a circle for a while now, and the information asked for is still not forthcoming. No one can help until they know the situation.

edit: It is easy to criticize others but where are your helpful insights? :wink:
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

well considering this site is DEDICATED helping i feel all of us are entitled not to mention i did just give you the information grub is broken how do i update grub ... i know that doesnt need anything else but to be updated... sorry to be mean but snake man was first
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

snodgrss1984 wrote:well considering this site is DEDICATED helping i feel all of us are entitled not to mention i did just give you the information grub is broken how do i update grub ... i know that doesnt need anything else but to be updated... sorry to be mean but snake man was first
:D

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

and yes really sorry not a fake sorry just that if i can update grub i should have all them back there all on different loaders
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

thank you now can we all get along i did say sorry

Return to “Beginner Questions”