wireless

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
2roombas

wireless

Post by 2roombas »

Hello.... I just put Linux Mint 9 on my laptop and love it! It's definately a keeper, BUT I cannot get my wireless to work now. :( In ubuntiu 9.04 all I had to do was:
  • install the live cd
    check the "install from cd" box in the Settings > Repositories of the Package Manager
    search and install bcmwl-kernal-source
    reboot
However, on this Linux Mint 9 CD there is no box to check to install from CD. It simnply says to insert in the driver. So I do that, apply, apply...no go, doesn't work.

OK.. so plug a phone cord into the back of my laptop, then the other end into the back of my linksys.. reboot.. still nothing.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a specific place on the back of this lyksys that I'm supposed to plug into?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pluraldave

Re: wireless

Post by pluraldave »

Phone cord? Surely you should be using an ethernet cable?
2roombas

Post by 2roombas »

Hmmm, I used a phone cord before I thought?! Well, OK... the only ethernet cord I have is what's on my dsktop (which I'm using at this moment). Do I un-attach it from the cpu and then attach to my laptop? Then what? I am posting in "newbie questions", yes? :)

As for the other stuff, being rather new to mint, I can only answer that I'm using Mint 9 (it's fantastic except for my wireless issue!)

Thank you for your help! :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

First, you plug the 'phone cord' into the back of the Linksys Router ... then, from there, plug the Ethernet cable into the back of your Laptop.

Question: Once, you have everything 'plugged' in ... how is this wireless ? :lol: Just wondering
2roombas wrote: However, on this Linux Mint 9 CD there is no box to check to install from CD.
Correct ... Mint does not have an Install from CD checkbox in the Software Sources. All updates are done through the Update Manager or the Synaptic Manager.
It simnply says to insert in the driver. So I do that, apply, apply...no go, doesn't work.
About this issue ... I haven't the foggiest idea, what you're talking about ??
2roombas

Post by 2roombas »

vrkalak wrote:First, you plug the 'phone cord' into the back of the Linksys Router ... then, from there, plug the Ethernet cable into the back of your Laptop.

Question: Once, you have everything 'plugged' in ... how is this wireless ? :lol: Just wondering
I do realize that sounds a tad silly, but I read on here that to install those broadcam drivers that I need, I must first get a connection via ethernet. After that I can get my wireless to work.

This ethernet connection thing I don't understand though?! Seems like
I once did this exact thing back with ubuntu 8.04 and used only a phone cord. Odd?!
2roombas

Post by 2roombas »

I am completely mystified with this :?

I did find an ethernet cable... plugged it into he back of my rosuer... plugged the other end into my laptop, then rI ebooted my mint 9. Still the red "x" on the monitors icon in the panel. No connection.

Shouldn't I have it? Or is there something else I need to do?

Return to “Beginner Questions”