HOW DO I ACTIVATE LINUX???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlr1701

HOW DO I ACTIVATE LINUX???

Post by jlr1701 »

I am truly loving using Linux Mint, but I am very frustrated right now! I know this is gonna make me look like a serious noob :oops: , but HOW DO I ACTIVATE LINUX???

I want to be legal and be sure that I am using a Genuine copy of Linux Mint and not some counterfeit junk that some hacker has loaded down with nifty "features"!

I've looked through every menu entry in the Start menu and can't find any way to activate my copy of Mint, and I have not been prompted to do so. Is activation optional or something?

I even tried typing a few things at the weird-looking DOS prompt (GoGenuine, MintActivate, sudo apt-get install genuine-linux, but I got nothing!

I'd really like to get this done! Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: HOW DO I ACTIVATE LINUX???

Post by mick55 »

You have to send money to me. I will PM you with the details.

Encourage all the members of your race to send me the Activation fee. :mrgreen:

Thank you

Count Hasimir Fenring
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Hey! I get a cut of that! :lol:
Linux User #384279
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

/dev/null ate all the activation

fatty
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

This is a joke, right?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

jlr1701, you forgot to ask -- "Are the bundled productivity software like the Gimp and OpenOffice TRIAL VERSIONS?!" :mrgreen:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Midnighter wrote:This is a joke, right?
Of course not. :mrgreen:

Send me your 12 Million Tribbles Activation Fee immediately or I will have to report you
to the Department of Redundancy Department.

Thank you.

Count Hasimir Fenring
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

jlr1701 wrote:I am truly loving using Linux Mint, but I am very frustrated right now! I know this is gonna make me look like a serious noob :oops: , but HOW DO I ACTIVATE LINUX???

I want to be legal and be sure that I am using a Genuine copy of Linux Mint and not some counterfeit junk that some hacker has loaded down with nifty "features"!

I've looked through every menu entry in the Start menu and can't find any way to activate my copy of Mint, and I have not been prompted to do so. Is activation optional or something?

I even tried typing a few things at the weird-looking DOS prompt (GoGenuine, MintActivate, sudo apt-get install genuine-linux, but I got nothing!

I'd really like to get this done! Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff
No, don't worry you don't need to activate linux.
Jezzr

Post by Jezzr »

Genius lol
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daveleh »

As MintHat says, you do not need to activate Mint or any other Linux distribution. Provided you have downloaded from the Mint website (linuxmint.com) then what you get is what there is; a fully working system, no trials, no limited software, no 'hidden' surprises. All packages supplied are full working versions.

Now it's just up to you to look through the software/package manager and choose what else you need to install and use.

But if you want to send some cash then I'll have some too :lol:

Regards
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Since you guys can't even be serious for five minutes :-
at least MintHat was :)

The poor OP is :oops: enough !

after the woes from M$ - any one could get :?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Biker wrote:Hey! I get a cut of that! :lol:
I want to tax it. ;)
-Hinto
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Pierre wrote:Since you guys can't even be serious for five minutes :-
at least MintHat was :)

The poor OP is :oops: enough !

after the woes from M$ - any one could get :?

Hey, I asked! A bit hard to tell around here when people are taking the piss at times. :P
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Come on, guys, it's obviously a joke (good one too). Lighten up! :mrgreen:

The OP has posted on this forum 94 times. He knows what the real deal is; he's just pulling our legs.
deleted

Post by deleted »

humm... Is it too late for a refund? ;)
-H
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

Gawd, what a frustrating ordeal! But... I finally got it figured out!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chasester

Post by Chasester »

welcome to Mint :mrgreen:
deleted

Post by deleted »

This reminds me...
A few years back (16, is that a few years ago?) I went "on-site" too early and ended up coding 85% of a project at a customer's site. I let slip the term "memory leak". This was way back when, when you had to distinguish between huge and far pointers on a 16 bit processor. Anyway, this was on a network of about 8 PC's (remember Token Ring?), and some were in a control room and some were on the warehouse floor. After 6 months of being "off site" (I won't mention how long I was there and how many times folks mentioned "memory leak" ) they called and said they were going to take the warehouse computer off the Token Ring http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=token+ring&gwp=13 (for the young guys). I told them that if they did be sure to wrap the network cable up with electrical tape to keep the memory from leaking out... The next time I went down there, there was a softball-sized wad of tape on the end of the cable (OK, it wasn't softball-sized, but you get the picture).
-Hinto
Chasester

Post by Chasester »

hinto wrote:This reminds me...
A few years back (16, is that a few years ago?) I went "on-site" too early and ended up coding 85% of a project at a customer's site. I let slip the term "memory leak". This was way back when, when you had to distinguish between huge and far pointers on a 16 bit processor. Anyway, this was on a network of about 8 PC's (remember Token Ring?), and some were in a control room and some were on the warehouse floor. After 6 months of being "off site" (I won't mention how long I was there and how many times folks mentioned "memory leak" ) they called and said they were going to take the warehouse computer off the Token Ring http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=token+ring&gwp=13 (for the young guys). I told them that if they did be sure to wrap the network cable up with electrical tape to keep the memory from leaking out... The next time I went down there, there was a softball-sized wad of tape on the end of the cable (OK, it wasn't softball-sized, but you get the picture).
-Hinto
LMMFAO!

When I was still wet behind the ears and worked at a local airport - the guys got me with - go get a bucket of prop wash.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Anybody want to go snipe hunting I know a great spot. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”