Screen Resolution Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Screen Resolution Problem

Postby p0is0n on Fri May 28, 2010 5:49 am

Hi all,
I have been using Linux Mint 8 for a few weeks now to do my web development work on. All was going well apart from a few times the screen resolution would switch to 640x480, normally this could be fixed by restarting the computer.

This is no longer the case. When I load up NVIDIA X Server Settings, under X Server Display Configuration it looks like :
Screenshot.png
X Server Display Configuration Screen
Screenshot.png (98.57 KiB) Viewed 251 times

Under resolution I only have the options 640x480, 320x240, and auto.
My monitor is LCD (No idea why it is listed as CRT) It is the only monitor attatched, the maximum resolution of this monitor is 1680x1050.

Under advanced the Mode Name is nvidia-auto-select, and panning is just set to 640x480 (the screen resolution).
I know I have to run the nvidia settings from the terminal to be able to save changes to xorg.conf but there seems to be nothing I can change to get my monitor to display correctly.

The X Server Information shows :
Screenshot.png
X Server Display Configuration Screen
Screenshot.png (98.57 KiB) Viewed 251 times

If anyone has any ideas on how I can fix this it would be much appreciated.
If any more information is needed please just let me know and I will try and add it.
Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
X Server Information Screen
Screenshot-1.png (124.37 KiB) Viewed 251 times
p0is0n
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screen Resolution Problem

Postby beefstu on Fri May 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Try clicking on advanced and putting the resolution in manually. If you click apply and it doesn't work, just wait 20 secs and it should revert itself.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Postby marvinudy on Fri May 28, 2010 11:06 pm

p0is0n,

I use Grub2 for a boot loader and find that I must run 'udate-grub' from a console after I upgrade from one nvidia driver to another. The new 'grub.cfg' file will reflect to new modified kernel.

best regards,

marvinudy
marvinudy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby llmunro on Sat May 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi p0is0n,

Something similar has happened to my screen resolution on both Mint and Ubuntu and I think I recall having to make sure that the recommended Nvidia driver was activated (under "hardware" in the menu, I think). Then I could change the resolution to something other than the three listed options.

Here's also a link to a thread on the Ubuntu forums in which I try to get my screen resolution figured out. It might help.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1463690

Best,
Lisa
llmunro
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions