Partitioning a SFF PC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Partitioning a SFF PC

Post by reactiv8 »

Pardon wise folks, but I'm trying to set up my SFF PC

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172708

to dual boot M$ Win 7 (64-bit) & Mint 9 'Isadora' (64-bit) - I had already successfully got it dual-booting Win 7 & Mint 8 (32-bit) by creating a new partition for Linux (but no Swap), but now I can't seem to create another partition '/home' which would obviously save me copying my data again at each new install, and a smaller one for Swap. The system seems to run ok without Swap using both Mint 8 (32-bit) installed or running Mint 9 (64-bit) from a Live CD ...

At install, I've tried to re-size the disk I allocated to Linux, so I have space for Swap, '/home' & the OS in '/', but then I'm left with unallocated space which I can't then allocate ...

I've also tried using GParted to give me the extra partitions, but the system comes back with an error saying: "It is not possible to create more than 4 primary partitions" (Suggesting I need to create an extended partition, but I haven't a clue how to do this ...) - Win 7 takes 3 partitions in NTFS ...

I know I'm a twit and perhaps I'm just trying to be too ambitious, but 'tis annoying because I'm so close to getting this right, but don't want to lose Win 7 - Yeah I know, we don't like M$, but I need it for two RAW image processing apps ...

Chris. :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Partitioning a SFF PC

Post by Aging Technogeek »

An extended partition is created automatically when you designate a partition as logical rather than primary. Convention limits a single hard drive to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and one extended(which is just a special type of primary partition).

Normally when dual booting, Windows is on a primary partition in first place on the drive, then either a second primary for swap, or, if you need the primary partition for another use, set your swap partition as logical and open your extended partition.

If swap is on the second primary, create a logical partition for / (root) and this will create the extended partition. you can put quite a few logical partitions in one extended (I have used as many as 10). Just do not create another Primary partition after you open the extended until you are sure you will not want to add any more logicals. Opening a new primary closes the extended and no new logical partitions can be added.

Was Win 7 on the computer when you bought it? If so, at least one of the three ntfs partitions you see and maybe two of them is a recovery or reinstall partition and probably will not be seen as a primary partition by the partition editor. (I have 4 on my desktop and I cannot touch them in any way unless it is to reinstall Vista, which will never happen)

This could turn into a full blown tutorial on partitioning and installation running to several pages and since there is already a better one in the forum than I could write, I will send you there.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

The man who wrote this is a retired IT pro who has probably forgotten more about computers and Linuxthan we will ever know. Read and understand this and all of your questions will be answered.
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Partitioning a SFF PC

Post by reactiv8 »

Thanks for your swift and helpful reply! - Flying slightly over my head, but I'll think about what you say! ...

Indeed Win 7 was on the SFF when I bought it ...

I guess I need to read and learn more as you suggest, and will follow the link! ... I wish I could just play with 'trial and error', but as you surely know this can be too risky for a twit like me?!

Chris. :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”