Cannot connect my i pod

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tundra/Desert

Cannot connect my i pod

Post by Tundra/Desert »

Hi all,
All of a sudden i can no longer connect my ipod and sync up my music, which is obviously troubling. I am running Helena and using rhythmbox and the ipod used to be detected no problem, but now it won't connect at all. I reset both the laptop and the computer, installed all recent updates, and tried to find the device manually using the disk utility administration tool. I honestly have no idea how to re-establish the connection and was hoping someone could give me some good suggestions.
Thanks,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot connect my i pod

Post by Old Ruler »

Hi James,

I have no suggestions I'm afraid, but does it show up in the output of 'lsusb'? Mine looks like:

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05ac:1299 Apple, Inc.
Tundra/Desert

Post by Tundra/Desert »

Im sorry, im very new to linux, how would i navigate to the outpost 'Isusb' in order to check?
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

No problem :)

'lsusb' is a command line tool so you'll need to open a terminal (click the menu bottom left and then click on Terminal). Then in the window which will open type lsusb followed by Enter.

The unix command line is probably the most powerful thing I've ever encountered :)
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Tundra/Desert wrote:Hi all,
All of a sudden i can no longer connect my ipod and sync up my music, which is obviously troubling. I am running Helena and using rhythmbox and the ipod used to be detected no problem, but now it won't connect at all. I reset both the laptop and the computer, installed all recent updates, and tried to find the device manually using the disk utility administration tool. I honestly have no idea how to re-establish the connection and was hoping someone could give me some good suggestions.
Thanks,
James
Are you using 9? If so this post might be some help, it's for banshee but I believe the bug is the same.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=48105
Tundra/Desert

Post by Tundra/Desert »

Thanks for the link Jason, im migrating to banshee so it might prove immensely helpful. Old Ruler, I found "Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ac:1209 Apple, Inc. iPod Video" in the terminal using lsusb, but now what is my next move?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Tundra/Desert wrote:Thanks for the link Jason, im migrating to banshee so it might prove immensely helpful. Old Ruler, I found "Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ac:1209 Apple, Inc. iPod Video" in the terminal using lsusb, but now what is my next move?
You're welcome. The only reason I prefer Banshee over other media players available on Mint is that I'm a sucker for the gridview. I'm more of a visual person, I'm not a list guy.
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

Me too - upgraded from LM8 to 9 and now cannot connect to Shuffle - it's there in the lsusb list!

Hope someone can help.
Jezzr

Post by Jezzr »

wiab4355 wrote:Me too - upgraded from LM8 to 9 and now cannot connect to Shuffle - it's there in the lsusb list!

Hope someone can help.
Try unticking automount in nautilus as per Jason's link:
1. Open a terminal and type "gconf-editor" press enter.

2. Navagate to apps > nautilus > preferences.

3. Uncheck the box in front of media_automount.

4. Close gconf and terminal.

5. Open Banshee and navagate to Edit > preferences > Extentions > Device Support and make sure the box next to "iPod Support" is checked.

6. Restart Banshee.

7. plugin your iPod.

8. Double click on your iPod in Nautilus. It should show up in Banshee now.
Tundra/Desert

Post by Tundra/Desert »

did all of it up till step 8. I went into the control center and opened nautilus actions configuration. Is this the right application? I didn''t see my iPod there.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Tundra/Desert wrote:did all of it up till step 8. I went into the control center and opened nautilus actions configuration. Is this the right application? I didn''t see my iPod there.
No, Nautilus is the file manager on a gnome desktop, any time you open a folder you are using Nautilus to view it. When I said open Nautilus I mean open any folder, it doesn't matter which one, and look on the left side under devices you should see your iPod.
Tundra/Desert

Post by Tundra/Desert »

yea it doesn't show up....i don't think it is Linux anymore because i can successfully connect other iPods. So yea, i guess i just can't sync that iPod anymore, which sucks but yea well.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

You run iTunes in an XP virtual machine which can use your regular /home/Music directory in linux just to sync. I've done it before. Just another idea. I used to be able to sync in Exaile, but haven't tried it in a long time....think I will.....
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

theZoid wrote:You run iTunes in an XP virtual machine which can use your regular /home/Music directory in linux just to sync. I've done it before. Just another idea. I used to be able to sync in Exaile, but haven't tried it in a long time....think I will.....
I generally do my best to avoid M$ at all costs. :D

I've tried Exaile before I liked it, it was really lite. On a Dino Exaile would be my music player of choice, but for a decent computer my pick is Banshee simply because I love the grid view. To me it's the most useful view that I've come across for a music player. If Exaile had a Grid View I'd use it.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Have you tried installing the ifuse package from Synaptic? I am not sure this will solve your specific problem but it might. I read about iPod/iTouch devices needing this in order to be able to sync with Linux media players.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ifuse

Return to “Beginner Questions”