Do NOT ever edit grub.cfg

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
distrohopper

Do NOT ever edit grub.cfg

Post by distrohopper »

Time and time again, I see people recommending to change something in grub.cfg. This is a BAD IDEA. DON'T DO IT.

You can add custom entries through one of the files in /etc/grub.d/ or change default settings in /etc/default/grub

I know you might hate to read, but seriously... read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 I mean it.. really READ it.

You will realize that GRUB2 isn't really the devil, it actually makes things easier if you know how to use it properly. Everything you will probably need to know is in that link to the documentation. I can't stress enough though.. DO NOT EDIT GRUB.CFG!!! If you ever update your kernel, your changes WILL be lost. If you ever manually run update-grub, YOUR CHANGES WILL BE LOST. If you are stuck, and need help.. that documentation link above will seriously save your ass.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Do NOT ever edit grub.cfg

Post by Biker »

Meh.. Sometimes it's easier to just make a quick change to grub.cfg and be done with it. Especially if additional boot commands need to be passed at the time of booting. As long as you remember to make the changes if you update anything, it's no big thing.
Linux User #384279

Return to “Beginner Questions”