How do I manually install Packages and Libraries?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carrow14

How do I manually install Packages and Libraries?

Post by Carrow14 »

Hello. :) I'm new to this forum, hence my post in this Newb forum.

I am using Mint4Win. I was wondering how you manually install libraries and packages? I have Mint 9 installed on my laptop, and at home I have dial-up. My laptop does not have a dial-up modem, and I would like to still install software on my mint. I have no other way of connecting to the internet to use the software/package manager (unless I go to the city, but that's like 30 miles from here, and I am not that desperate). I am stuck manually downloading files with my desktop computer and then transferring them using a flash drive.

Any tips?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: How do I manually install Packages and Libraries?

Post by JasonLG »

Carrow14 wrote:Hello. :) I'm new to this forum, hence my post in this Newb forum.

I am using Mint4Win. I was wondering how you manually install libraries and packages? I have Mint 9 installed on my laptop, and at home I have dial-up. My laptop does not have a dial-up modem, and I would like to still install software on my mint. I have no other way of connecting to the internet to use the software/package manager (unless I go to the city, but that's like 30 miles from here, and I am not that desperate). I am stuck manually downloading files with my desktop computer and then transferring them using a flash drive.

Any tips?
You have 4 options from what I sit.

1. Do what you're doing.
2. Go to the city.
3. Get someone to download the DVD iso's of the Ubuntu repos for you. (there's like 8 I think)
4. Download the DVD iso's yourself when you visit the city.

Out of the 4 the first 2 seem the most practical.
Carrow14

Post by Carrow14 »

Where do I put the Libraries and Packages I download using option 1? I've only used the software/package managers.

I'm running AMD64 mint by the way.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Carrow14 wrote:Where do I put the Libraries and Packages I download using option 1? I've only used the software/package managers.

I'm running AMD64 mint by the way.
If the package is a .deb double click it, Mint will do the rest and it will show up in the package manager under local or obsolete in the status section.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Carrow14 wrote:Hello. :) I was wondering how you manually install libraries and packages? I have Mint 9 installed on my laptop, and at home I have dial-up. My laptop does not have a dial-up modem, and I would like to still install software on my mint.
Carrow, check out this tutorial.
used for installing new software as well as updates
You will still have to gather the files from your desktop. But, by following this procedure, you will be able to install using Synaptic, thereby managing your packages better.

Return to “Beginner Questions”