Enabling Scroll-Lock?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MonochromeMan

Enabling Scroll-Lock?

Post by MonochromeMan »

Heyo, utter newbie at this. :)

I'm trying to get my MIDI sequencer (Evolution Audio, really old package) running under WINE. So far, there's been no major problems - just a bit laggy. I've managed to get MIDI playback up and running already with a soundfont that matches the windows system banks, so there's no problem there.

*But*... my sequencer uses Scroll-Lock pretty heavily - it uses the normal keyboard to emulate an external music keyboard, and scroll lock is used to move the range down an octave.

For whatever reason, Scroll lock isn't actually working at the moment - I checked the keyboard settings under 'System Settings' already, but couldn't find any options about it there. The toggle's not working outside of WINE either, so I'm guessing it's a general config issue somewhere.

Any ideas where the magic toggle is? :S

If it's any help at all, I'm using a UK layout keyboard with media keys - a Saitek Eclipse II. The only other keys that aren't working are the volume controls - but they didn't work under Mandriva either. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Enabling Scroll-Lock?

Post by Old Ruler »

Hi utter newbie :) Welcome to the forum.
I'm trying to get my MIDI sequencer (Evolution Audio, really old package) running under WINE. So far, there's been no major problems - just a bit laggy. I've managed to get MIDI playback up and running already with a soundfont that matches the windows system banks, so there's no problem there.
Mmm, MIDI sequencers. There are some very fine ones available for Linux. Rosegarden is my favourite and a new re-write of it was released a few months ago. It's available through Synaptic Package Manager as are others. There are some absolutely amazing music creation packages in Linux and, really, "laggy" is the last thing you want in a sequencer. Loads of work has been done to make Linux a very fine platform for audio applications in the area of "Real Time" kernel extentions and the JACK server to reduce lag to almost 0. But on to the problem:
my sequencer uses Scroll-Lock pretty heavily - it uses the normal keyboard to emulate an external music keyboard, and scroll lock is used to move the range down an octave.

For whatever reason, Scroll lock isn't actually working at the moment - I checked the keyboard settings under 'System Settings' already, but couldn't find any options about it there. The toggle's not working outside of WINE either, so I'm guessing it's a general config issue somewhere.

Any ideas where the magic toggle is? :S
It's a tricky one because there are three places where the problem could be, namely Linux configuration, wine config (I haven't looked into that side), or Evolution Audio itself.

It's easy enough to assign the Scroll Lock key to whatever you like. You can do it at the command line (open a Terminal window). For instance; to assign Scroll Lock to '5'

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e "keycode 78 = 5"
I got the keycode for Scroll Lock using the xev command line tool. To make it permanent you need to create a hidden file in your home directory called .Xmodmap (it's hidden because it starts with a period) and add a line to it like:

keycode 78 = 5

But I don't think that will help unless you know what key Scroll Lock is mapped to in Evolution (certainly, setting it to 5 won't do it). So you would probably be best advised to ask the question in the wine forum:

http://forum.winehq.org/
I'm using a UK layout keyboard with media keys - a Saitek Eclipse II.
Me too (UK layout and Saitek Eclipse II) :)

Edited to add: It might just be worth trying this:

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e 'add mod3 = Scroll_Lock'

Return to “Beginner Questions”